DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Converter vs. Gears (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=134558)

muddy53 02-24-2013 07:11 PM

Converter vs. Gears
 
Have the Sport 4x4 with open 3:55 Gears.
Was wondering if anyone has a recommendation as to the best bang for the buck?
Want to increase the low end torque and not sure which way to go?
Think I'd prefer a gear swap but it's a lot of doe!!

cawish33 02-25-2013 10:04 PM

to achieve low end torque, put smaller wheel and swap the gear in diff but on the 2011+ ram the highest ratio you can have without mod is 3.92
because the rear diff is the new zf and nothing is available for those, if you want bigger ratio , go 4.56 but you have some modding to do

jd69627 02-25-2013 10:25 PM

I have the same setup as you. I just talked with a sponsor on another site and he says I can purchase a set of R/T gears for my ZF rear end and a Mopar LSD and they both bolt it without modification. Then I could purchase aftermarket gears for the front. R/T is 4.10 gears. He said if I want 4.56 that I would have to have modification to my rear to accept the gears and aftermarket LSD.
Gotta separate quote today for my dealer to do it and it was $3895 parts and labor.

muddy53 02-26-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd69627 (Post 1022906)
I have the same setup as you. I just talked with a sponsor on another site and he says I can purchase a set of R/T gears for my ZF rear end and a Mopar LSD and they both bolt it without modification. Then I could purchase aftermarket gears for the front. R/T is 4.10 gears. He said if I want 4.56 that I would have to have modification to my rear to accept the gears and aftermarket LSD.
Gotta separate quote today for my dealer to do it and it was $3895 parts and labor.


Wow, that's a huge bill!! Could get a supercharger for that kink of money.
Might be better to purchase the parts and have them installed at a differential shop ect.

huntergreen 02-26-2013 08:08 PM

if dealer does it, shouldn't affect the warranty.

ericlee9386 02-26-2013 09:28 PM

I am in a similar boat but i am 2wd and have the lsd. I was thinking of going to 4.10's from 3.55's but after picking up my truck today from having my TC installed i think im going to wait. It seems to pull alot better in all ranges and just makes the truck feel like its always ready to haul ass. An plus since i do alot of highway driving the TC seems to have made better sense. Maybe the gears will come later.

muddy53 02-27-2013 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericlee9386 (Post 1023856)
I am in a similar boat but i am 2wd and have the lsd. I was thinking of going to 4.10's from 3.55's but after picking up my truck today from having my TC installed i think im going to wait. It seems to pull alot better in all ranges and just makes the truck feel like its always ready to haul ass. An plus since i do alot of highway driving the TC seems to have made better sense. Maybe the gears will come later.

Was wondering if you could give me some feedback on your Converter such as make, model, stall speed ect. and costs.
Do these performance TC cause increased trans temps?
Does it lock up and behave as stock?
Good luck with your Mod

ericlee9386 02-27-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddy53 (Post 1024094)
Was wondering if you could give me some feedback on your Converter such as make, model, stall speed ect. and costs.
Do these performance TC cause increased trans temps?
Does it lock up and behave as stock?
Good luck with your Mod


It is a edge racing 11" 2800 stall. It cost me 525 from moe's performance. I have only had it in for one full day but havent noticed an increase in trans temps yet. It drives like stock so far until i jump on it, and then you notice the increase in performance. Im hoping to do some test this weekend before the ARH lt go on this sunday. If you havent yet contact Matt at moesperformance.com he is the shizzznet. He can steer you in the right direction and give you the best prices. He give me a great deal on the converter, lt and ported tb.

muddy53 02-27-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericlee9386 (Post 1024751)
It is a edge racing 11" 2800 stall. It cost me 525 from moe's performance. I have only had it in for one full day but havent noticed an increase in trans temps yet. It drives like stock so far until i jump on it, and then you notice the increase in performance. Im hoping to do some test this weekend before the ARH lt go on this sunday. If you havent yet contact Matt at moesperformance.com he is the shizzznet. He can steer you in the right direction and give you the best prices. He give me a great deal on the converter, lt and ported tb.

Thanks for the info. Was wondering if you stomp on it, do the tires break loose?
PS. Whats an lt? Tuner?

ericlee9386 02-28-2013 03:46 PM

lt is for longtube headers. It will leave a 6ft mark mark with my 24's if i step on ot from a dead stop. I havent tried to stall it up yet


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger