DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   HI-TECH Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display.... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=134595)

Grubrunner 02-25-2013 08:35 AM

Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display....

Anybody have one?

I'm [seriously] looking at purchasing one but knocking on the door of 3K and change for a laptop is a lot of money.

Anyfeedback would be appreciated.

Regards.

gonefishin776 02-25-2013 08:58 AM

don't get me wrong macs are great products, but it's a lot like buying a truck. what do you intend to use it for?

Grubrunner 02-25-2013 09:11 AM

I currently own a Toshiba Satellite A665-S6050. It's been great for about 4 years or so of ownership but battery life is poor [I've purchased two new batteries since ownership] and some minor issues have started to surface of late.

I was using my business partner's newly purchased 15" MacPro + Retina recently and was really impressed with everything about it. Amazing screen resolution, outstanding battery life [I had it for five days], REALLY quick downloads and web browsing and just overall seemed more ergonomic than my Toshiba Satellite.

It will be the family laptop while we travel. Web surfing, watching movies [Netflix, Hulu, Apple, Comcast, Cox] storing pictures & family vacation clips and the like. I will also use it for some business ventures but that's not the norm.

I'll spend on quality, no problem, but like I mentioned spending just north of $3000.00 for a laptop is some serious change. Especially considering what you can purchase for that kind of money in a non-Apple product.

Just trying to cover bases.

gonefishin776 02-25-2013 10:30 AM

well I think of macs as entertainment computers so that's seems like what you are after. yes 3k is a lot when u think that u can buy 4 or 5 pcs for that price that'll last you 4 years and u can do everything plus more on than a Mac. yes they might have a few more issues but if u take care of them and don't junk them up, a $450 laptop can last 5 years. that's what I buy, HP and they are great. as much as I like the feel and ease of Mac, I can't justify spending that much on a lap top when my $450 one does it just fine

TimW 02-25-2013 10:52 AM

Another way to look at it is, $450.00 for new laptop, $2550..00, more mods for the ram:LOL:

Judd McPherson 02-26-2013 10:56 PM

Call me about the MacBook Pro Retina. I have one and love it! I bought it this summer when they first came out. You have my number.

Grubrunner 02-26-2013 10:58 PM

Judd, I left my phone at my wife's office this afternoon so I will call you tomorrow.

brad12kx 03-02-2013 02:09 PM

I have 3 MacBooks with 13" displays
An original MacBook (White case)
A MacBook Pro
A MacBook Pro with retina display

I always set my displays to the 'native' display resolution so I have the best possible image clarity.

I find a minimal difference between the 2 MacBook Pro's, and under some circumstances prefer the non-retina unit. Both of the Pro's are noticeably nicer then the non-Pro which is still great in it's own right.

IMO the retina display is not worth the extra cost for what I use the laptop for which includes word processing, speadsheets, control application software and CAD in addition to the normal email and web surfing. :4-dontknow:

Grubrunner 04-27-2013 09:56 PM

Well, after researching and picking my brain and those others in the know [thanks Judd], I finally bit the bullet and purchased my 15" Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display this past week.

Absolutely love it!!!

My question now is this: How do I remove EVERYTHING from my Toshiba Satellite A665-S6050? I'm donating it to a local charity and want to remove and clean all internals prior to doing so.

Thanks.