DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   cummins blowby (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=134646)

95dodgeV10 02-25-2013 10:23 PM

cummins blowby

Iv got an 01 cummins that between unexpectedly running very low on oil and not knowing it and very possible poor maintenance by previous owners is showing signs of wear. iv got excessive blowby or at least what i consider excessive and was wanting some input if its possibly something "easier" in the cylinder head such as valve guides or something more involved as in piston rings. Im not real familiar with the cummins yet so im not sure what we be the easiest to wipeout due to the previously listed problems. thanks for any input fingers crossed i dont feel like doing a full rebuild any time soon.

scrappy 02-28-2013 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95dodgeV10 (Post 1022866)
Iv got an 01 cummins that between unexpectedly running very low on oil and not knowing it and very possible poor maintenance by previous owners is showing signs of wear. iv got excessive blowby or at least what i consider excessive and was wanting some input if its possibly something "easier" in the cylinder head such as valve guides or something more involved as in piston rings. Im not real familiar with the cummins yet so im not sure what we be the easiest to wipeout due to the previously listed problems. thanks for any input fingers crossed i dont feel like doing a full rebuild any time soon.

how bad is the blowby? take the oil cap off and with the engine running set the oil cap on the hole(don't thread in) does it stay or get blown off?
does it have a miss? how many miles. what air filter is on it?
could be rings, scored cylinder(s) or a hole in a piston(s) nothing else will cause pressure in the crankcase.

gusman 02-28-2013 08:11 AM

Pull the intercooler hose off of the intercooler and see if you have signs of blowby in there. It could be as simple as you needing a new turbo, without getting into the engine itself. My buddy has an 04 dmax LLY that was "losing oil", so I went under and yanked the boot off and she was dripping oil pretty good. New turbo and has been holding oil ever since. No more blue-ish smoke on start up either..

MERF-09 02-28-2013 10:39 AM

I have an 2001 first oil leak was the Vacuum pump/power steering pump seal at the crank case it leaked pretty good but I couldn't tell if it was the crank case over flow bottle or the vacuum pump seal so I did the overflow bottle buy pass & Vacuum pump seal problem fixed.
next oil leak was the tappet cover gasket & them I had to re-torque the oil pan bolts these are some the leaks I have had over the years that made a significant loss in oil I now have 301,000 miles on it with no blow-by.

Mike Holmen 04-15-2013 05:40 PM

What engine oil are you using? I would do a compression test and a leak down test. That would tell you the condition of the engine. Typically the mains/rod bearings would see the most wear from the lack of oil. There are piston oil cooler nozzles that shoot oil at the bottom of the piston. What oil pressure pressure? Was there any bearing material in the filter and in the oil?

Lots of things cause low cylinder pressure, the cummins VP engine have cracking issues between the exhaust/intake valves. I've replaced my head on my 02 truck a few times.

Usually if you have any piston damage, you can hear it and the truck will be hard starting. I've built a bunch of these engine over the years and they are a very easy engine to build up.

95dodgeV10 09-15-2013 09:30 PM

im pretty sure its worn rings cause im pretty sure the 1st owner ran the crap out of the truck. to answer all questions i have a volant oiled air filter, i run royal purple oil, truck holds 50 psi oil pressure pretty much all the time, and it has 192000 miles on it. it doesnt have so much blowby to blow the oil cap off atleast not at idle but it blows enough smoke out the crankcase vent iv had people at stop lights inform me my truck is smoking (-_-) and depending on wind direction you can see a decent cloud rise out from under the truck. Enough oil gets out of the crankcase vent that it leaves about a tennis ball size spot of oil every time i park. no major knocks (other than the normal diesel clatter) no miss fires, and doesnt blow very much blueish smoke that i can tell apart from the puff of black smoke when it starts. i wouldnt be against doing a rebuild if i could do a basic rebuild but i know myself and id want to pour money into better parts.