DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   exhaust questions? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=134704)

white4x4 02-26-2013 03:17 PM

exhaust questions?

so i got a few questions, i got a 12' ram with sport bumpers on it ( sold my iron bull bumpers to candy08) so i didnt have an exhuast that ran out the back. my step up right now is true dual's with an X pipe dumped after my axel, i wanna run it out the back an make it quiter but still have a good throaty tone to it, so my question really is what can i do to make it quiter an still have a good tone, a friend of mine recommened 2 glasspacks and some tips out the back but i need some input from my ramforum guys before i do anything

brandonjansen 02-26-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white4x4 (Post 1023504)
so i got a few questions, i got a 12' ram with sport bumpers on it ( sold my iron bull bumpers to candy08) so i didnt have an exhuast that ran out the back. my step up right now is true dual's with an X pipe dumped after my axel, i wanna run it out the back an make it quiter but still have a good throaty tone to it, so my question really is what can i do to make it quiter an still have a good tone, a friend of mine recommened 2 glasspacks and some tips out the back but i need some input from my ramforum guys before i do anything

Are you looking to make it quieter altogether or just quieter inside the truck? Just by extending the exhaust out from underneath the box will quiet it down inside the cab a lot but keep the same throaty tone and volume outside the truck.

white4x4 02-26-2013 03:44 PM

sorry i should have beena a little more clear, yea quiter inside the truck cause i have a 6 mth old and i always wake him up when i go to leave for work in the AM, i know runnning the exhaust out the back will make it quieter but just looking for something a little different too

HOTRODHARLEY 02-26-2013 05:10 PM

I'd start with just the tailpipes and go from there. It's easier to add a couple glasspacks after than to take them out

brandonjansen 02-26-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white4x4 (Post 1023518)
sorry i should have beena a little more clear, yea quiter inside the truck cause i have a 6 mth old and i always wake him up when i go to leave for work in the AM, i know runnning the exhaust out the back will make it quieter but just looking for something a little different too

You could run it at 45's out the side behind the rear tires. I ran mine that way because it's different than every other Ram you see on the road with the exhaust out the back. I also think it looks nicer too.... just my opinion.

white4x4 02-26-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjansen (Post 1023607)
You could run it at 45's out the side behind the rear tires. I ran mine that way because it's different than every other Ram you see on the road with the exhaust out the back. I also think it looks nicer too.... just my opinion.

well if i didnt have the exhaust cut outs i would do that but i have the cut outs and it would look weird with the tips 45'd when i have those ya know,

chefred112 02-26-2013 07:45 PM

you need to throw some mufflers on..just runnin pipe from the dumps out will increase resonance inside the cab.... to me, dumping after axle is more quieter than runnin pipe out..I know because I've done both..my usual setup is dump after axle but I have to add a pipe to go out when I do emissions testing and it drones incab with the extra piping..

chefred112 02-26-2013 07:46 PM

where did you put your cutouts?

white4x4 02-26-2013 08:04 PM

i dont have E-cutouts, im talking the cut outs on the back bumper of the 4th gen for the dual exhuast

chefred112 02-26-2013 08:23 PM

ok got it... anyways, you have to put a muffler in there someplace because straight pipin duels will be loud incab...I have a family too and i want it deftly quiet incab and only loud when I want it...and i can outloud anyone when i want to..