DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2012 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   2012 Grille Removal (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=134782)

Rainman519 02-27-2013 02:31 PM

2012 Grille Removal

I know this is covered here, but I another question regarding removing my grille. I removed the radiator cover grommets, and the bolts holding the grille in place. There are two plastic tabs on the bottom of the grille. The left one came out pretty easily, the right one didn't. I wiggled, pulled and tried to cuss it out, but no luck. Finally was afraid I'd break the tab, so I put it back together for another day. What's the secret to getting it out? Do I just need to pull harder? Thanks:4-dontknow:

Asur 02-27-2013 02:32 PM

Just curious, why are you removing your grille?

GTyankee 02-27-2013 03:06 PM

this video half ass explains how to remove the grille
it shows the clips that the grille sits in fairly clearly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V82rIJYnI0

lbram81 02-27-2013 03:38 PM

I just put new headlight bulbs in the other day and know exactly what your talking about.

All you have to do is pull grill towards you as you push down. There is a locking fixture (if you will) that is underneath the clip you see on each side of the grill. If this is your first time removing it, they can be difficult. But, once removed, they go in and out like butter. Just keep applying pressure slowly and pulling towards you slowly, I know it could be nerve recking but it will work. Also place some painters trim tape along the bumper under were the grill will come out to stop any scratches or damage to bumper while removing.

If your replacing your headlight bulbs with the Silverstar Ultras because you hate how dim the factory ones are, dont waste your time. Noticed you have the tradesman model that has the same headlamp as mine and they make very minimal difference. Save your money and go HID. Thats my plan when mine burn out.

Asur 02-27-2013 03:41 PM

I use a magnetic 10mm socket and extension, never remove the grille for changing light bulbs. Take the 2 bolts off and un-clip the white clip thing from the wheel well and pull. But was wondering if it was for something else that he was pulling the grille for

lbram81 02-27-2013 03:44 PM

Agree Asur. Yes the long extention will definitely work, I just found it was much easier to do the job with grill off but yes extention great idea.

Rainman519 02-28-2013 08:46 AM

I'm pulling the grill to install new bulbs (what a pain) as I thought it would be easier to access by doing so. I'll try the long extension route first and see how that works. Thanks for the suggestion on the Silverstars Ibram81, I was planning on using them (had good luck in the past). I'll check into the HID route also.

lbram81 02-28-2013 11:52 AM

Rainman519 for what its worth....

I believe many members here that have put the Silverstar Ultra's in models above ours have had better results due to the diffrent headlamp. I dont know if you have noticed this (I didnt notice this until about 5 months after I bought my truck) but the sport models and up for the 2012 year have diffrent headlamp housings. Basically they have two bulbs (high/low) and we have one. Their bulbs light up in a much tighter surrounding than ours that light up in one big damn headlamp, which in my opinion does not allow as much reflection and send out better lighting. Again just my opinion.

The Silverstars definitely light up things further down the road and I can tell the width is much more than the factories, BUT all is dim still. The over all problem is they are the SAME brightness as the factories, which defeats having all the perks that I just stated.

Something to consider. If you do go HID or anything but Silverstar, please post on here so we can see the results!

Rainman519 03-01-2013 01:42 PM

Thanks IbRAM81. Good info. I'm leaning towards the Silverstars for starters as I have to do something pretty quickly. I travel 18 mi to work early in the mornings on a stretch of highway that isn't lit, and full of deer. I figure anything will be an improvement over the stock lights. I'll check into some other options and I'll put-up pics if I go another route.

fastNugly @ BP 03-01-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asur (Post 1024433)
I use a magnetic 10mm socket and extension, never remove the grille for changing light bulbs. Take the 2 bolts off and un-clip the white clip thing from the wheel well and pull. But was wondering if it was for something else that he was pulling the grille for

This works for sure, but found it time consuming for me
It was always quicker for me to remove the grill.
4 bolts and tug at it in an upright 45 degree and out she comes.
Plus I lost my magnetic extension, so that does not help...LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbram81 (Post 1024436)
Agree Asur. Yes the long extention will definitely work, I just found it was much easier to do the job with grill off but yes extention great idea.

Agree ^^^