DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   Serpentine Belt/Tensioner Pulley Squeak (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=134974)

steelreign 03-01-2013 09:28 AM

Serpentine Belt/Tensioner Pulley Squeak

Good Morning all. Yesterday morning I noticed a squeak from the engine compartment of my truck just after start up. I didn't think much of it because I figured it was just squeaking because it was cold outside. Yesterday afternoon I drove it home and noticed the squeak was still there, just not as noticeable. Then again this morning, it squeaked at start up. I put belt conditioner on the serpentine belt to see if it would calm the noise. It only made it worse and now it's starting to annoy me. My truck as just over 51,000 miles on it. I figure maybe it's just time to change the serpentine belt and tensioner. Does anyone have any recommendations for which brands are better. The Auto Zone here in town has Dayco belts and pulleys. Are these acceptable replacements?

gonefishin776 03-01-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelreign (Post 1026215)
Good Morning all. Yesterday morning I noticed a squeak from the engine compartment of my truck just after start up. I didn't think much of it because I figured it was just squeaking because it was cold outside. Yesterday afternoon I drove it home and noticed the squeak was still there, just not as noticeable. Then again this morning, it squeaked at start up. I put belt conditioner on the serpentine belt to see if it would calm the noise. It only made it worse and now it's starting to annoy me. My truck as just over 51,000 miles on it. I figure maybe it's just time to change the serpentine belt and tensioner. Does anyone have any recommendations for which brands are better. The Auto Zone here in town has Dayco belts and pulleys. Are these acceptable replacements?

my 07 just starting doin the same thing. Not quite a squeek, but noisy from the belt area. Gonna just have the dealership change it when i take my truck in for oil change and other routine maintenance.

seanbeckaroo 03-01-2013 09:38 AM

Hey, my 2009 does the same. I bought a Gates Belt for it, but haven't had the gumption to change it yet. Mine squeals when it's cold, then goes away after it warms up. 65,000 miles. Maybe I need a new tensioner as well...I will probably change them both this spring

RAM EM 03-01-2013 11:38 AM

I would go with a Goodyear Gatorback, Gates, or OE on the brand. I wouldn't sweat the tensioner if it still holds good tension and the pulley bearing is good.

steelreign 03-01-2013 01:06 PM

A mechanic friend of mine sprayed WD40 on the belt and the sqeak went away. So, I'm pretty sure it's the belt. I just ordered a Goodyear Gatorback from Rock Auto. It should get here in a week or so. Hopefully it will stop the squealing.

rdsabin 03-02-2013 12:12 PM

I also agree with Gator Backs, my 10 had the same problem although it showed up at less than 5K miles. Replaced belt and was fine until I traded truck in for my 12 Sport.

Rocky Harbour 03-05-2013 09:28 AM

I had both the tensioner and belt replaced at 46,000 kms. I am now at 56,000 kms and it is making the same noise again. Almost like a hamster running on a sqeaky exercise wheel.:4-dontknow:

chews 03-18-2014 09:49 PM

after reading the posts in this thread....can anyone follow up and advise if they are still changing the belts every 5 to 50K? Is this what is to be expected in the future of my new/used truck now that it has started to chirp at just over 50K?

Bought truck about a month ago, had the "peace of mind" inspection from a Dodge dealership before completing the purchase from a Kia dealership and it passed except for the TPS light which won't turn off but figured I could live with that.
Saturday, I went through about 8" of water on a flooded road (was not off roading just on a residential street that flooded)(nor was I going through the puddle fast, was definitely under 30km), about 20 mins further down the road, I thought I had maybe half dozen baby birds hatching under the hood. Two days later, it was a big flock! A more mechanically inclined friend took a look at the belt, and pulleys said all looked good but asked for a bar of soap, rubbed a little here and there, turned over the truck, flock of birds all gone. Shut it off, didn't think twice till I drove it this morning. When idling truck is quiet, step on the gas birds are back, off the gas and birds are gone again. Rubbed more soap on it tonight, maybe will get belt changed this week.

Really hoping that new belt will last longer than 5K, but still wondering how many Ks should you get out of this belt? This is my first truck, I have only ever had front wheel 4 cyclinder cars which took me 90K and beyond before changing any belts!

Geniusgene 03-18-2014 10:10 PM

mine has a lite pulley squeek when its very cold out, above freezing its fine. gonna have dealer look at it during 30k service,

rdm1465 03-24-2014 02:15 PM

Belts should most definitely last more than 5k. If you are hearing squeaks, take a look at the belt condition. Also, check your pulleys alignment. In most cases it's the belts age and or condition.