DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Need advice on 4.7 head job (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=135165)

Maddevill 03-03-2013 10:57 AM

Need advice on 4.7 head job

Well, it's happened. I have a 2003 4.7 QC. My wife told me that on a couple of occasions the truck would "pause" while she tried to start it. I tried it and it cranked fine. We drove it yesterday and it ran good although the idle was a littler rougher than it was. After about 15 minutes of driving it still was sending steam out the tailpipe so i got out and smelled it. It doesn't smell like coolant but when I checked the recovery tank it was almost empty. I suspect that I have a blown head gasket.:SHOCKED: I think the pause on starting is probably a case of almost being hydraulically locked. Hopefully we didn't damage a rod. but like I said, it still runs smooth. Anyway I want to know what brands of parts to avoid or what ones to use. I assume I would want to change the timing chains and tensioners as well? It has 85k on it. What about the water pump? I am thinking I should probably have the heads checked for cracks and re-surfaced as well?:4-dontknow: I have a mechanic who usually works on it but if he hasn't done a 4.7 before I guess I'll have to sell a kid and take it to Dodge. :smiledown:I have no place to work on it here. So, please give me advice. It' s hitting me at a bad time but I need this thing fixed and reliable.
Thanks
Mad

RamTech 03-03-2013 11:02 AM

If money is no object, sure, replace all the timing components for peace of mind. Chrysler has inspection guidelines for these parts and if they fall within those specs, there's no reason to replace them. Just remember, new parts can fail as quickly as old ones.

I wouldn't go tearing the heads off the engine until I verified with either a leakdown or chemical test that combustion gasses are entering the cooling system. If there is a problem and you have to pull the heads, there's no need to replace the water pump unless it's leaking or the bearings are bad.

Maddevill 03-03-2013 11:59 AM

Thanks Randy. I'm going to have the mechanic check it out before I have anything torn down, but I don't like what I'm seeing out the exhaust.So, maybe if the timing chain and gears are ok I'll just replace the tensioners. And with me, money is ALWAYS the object!

Boogert 03-03-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTech (Post 1028171)
If money is no object, sure, replace all the timing components for peace of mind. Chrysler has inspection guidelines for these parts and if they fall within those specs, there's no reason to replace them. Just remember, new parts can fail as quickly as old ones.

I wouldn't go tearing the heads off the engine until I verified with either a leakdown or chemical test that combustion gasses are entering the cooling system. If there is a problem and you have to pull the heads, there's no need to replace the water pump unless it's leaking or the bearings are bad.

I agree, no point in replacing stuff thats not necessary. You can buy a "block tester" at most parts stores, I think I paid 50 bucks for mine. Its a great way to check for combustion gases in the cooling system, although it wont tell you where they are coming from (head gasket, cracked block, cracked head etc.)

In my opinion, if you replace the timing tensioner i would replace the chain since they usually come as a set.

Good luck

RamTech 03-03-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boogert (Post 1028387)

In my opinion, if you replace the timing tensioner i would replace the chain since they usually come as a set.

Good luck

With the 4.7, the chain, sprockets, guides, and primary chain tensioner come as a set with the secondary chain tensioners sold separately.

goatman65 03-08-2013 02:38 PM

The gasket is gone...

The "Hesitation" that was experienced, is exactly that, water in the cylinder. I experienced the same thing. Was running down the road and a red light flashed on the dash, and went away... No Engine code, and seemed to be running ok... was getting 23 on the trip. Stopped for a bit, then it happened.
Starter wouldn't turn it over. It tried then the engine "stuck". I manually backed the compression off, and started it. Next day, I had massive white smoke from the exhaust.
Didn't get hot, so the heads were fine. I did the job myself, and it really wasn't bad at all. the internals were all just fine, so I just did a head restore, timing cover gasket, top end gasket set, Head Bolts, and a few tools... worked out to 5 bills out of pocket. The Dodge Shop quoted the job at $1900... to start...

Goatman

crwood 07-17-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTech (Post 1028171)

I have a similar issue going on with my 02 4.7. It was locked up and not starting or turning over. If when I removed the spark plug from #1 cylinder (while it was still running, took it to advance auto to diagnose engine light: #1cylinder misfire) it started up and blew out water, would that be a leakdown test?

deanhinsley1963 07-26-2013 03:18 PM

Pretty much a positive on that test.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Bignasty 08-24-2013 12:37 AM

If you are gonna replace the gaskets you need to get the heads checked. I had the same problem and decided while i had the heads off to replace the gaskets i would go ahead and get the heads checked, when I did I found out that my heads were warped beyond milling. those heads warp really easy and I would replace the head bolts because they are also prone to stretch.

markhenry63 12-09-2013 12:04 PM

White smoke, anti-freeze smell in exhaust

Trying to determine if I should repair or replace my 2002, 4.7 which has started blowing white smoke during warm-up and using coolant at a pretty high rate. I've got 276K miles on it and it still runs good although RPMs run a little higher at speed than it used to by about 200RPM or so.
Any suggestions on long blocks/parts suppliers to use/stay away from would be appreciated as well.