DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Stock Muffler Length? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=135192)

rango88 03-03-2013 06:03 PM

Stock Muffler Length?

Looking at aftermaket mufflers but I want to keep the new muffler as close to factory length as possible. Whats the Length of the Muffler? 13"? 19"? Just curious as it will narrow down my search.

I have the factory installed Dual exhaust out the back

3"In/ 2.25" Dual outs I think

Jayincali 03-03-2013 06:16 PM

FKN HUGE!!!! I can't remember, but probably about 3' in length. I doubt you'll find an after market muffler that is the same length as a stock waterheater muffler. You still have the factory muffler installed? Throw a tape measure on it real quick.

rango88 03-03-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayincali (Post 1028476)
FKN HUGE!!!! I can't remember, but probably about 3' in length. I doubt you'll find an after market muffler that is the same length as a stock waterheater muffler. You still have the factory muffler installed? Throw a tape measure on it real quick.

After Reading the MDS Drone Issues with aftermarket mufflers, I might just pass and keep it stock :(

A tuner is out of my budget.

lbram81 03-03-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayincali (Post 1028476)

Yea when I was getting prices on a new muffler the price included adding to the pipes to make up the difference.

rango88 03-03-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbram81 (Post 1028483)
Yea when I was getting prices on a new muffler the price included adding to the pipes to make up the difference.

Good to Know since I was looknig at one from flowmaster that was 13" long and one from magnaflow that was 19". I guess neither is long enough.

jbc8000 03-03-2013 08:59 PM

I put on a flowmaster on mine, had to add If I remember correctly around a 16" piece. Left all the other factory pipes stockl That way I could always just swap the stock one right back in. As far as drone goes, I always just run in tow/haul.

rango88 03-04-2013 07:42 AM

Is there a muffler that does not add drone with the MDS. I know I could always just leave the Tranny in fifth gear so MDS doesnt kick in but I`d like a muffler thats suitable for all purposes.

Since we already determined that I am going to have to add to the lack of length of the stock muffler, now the questions is the best muffler for MDS

Shield 03-04-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rango88 (Post 1028965)
Is there a muffler that does not add drone with the MDS. I know I could always just leave the Tranny in fifth gear so MDS doesnt kick in but I`d like a muffler thats suitable for all purposes.

Since we already determined that I am going to have to add to the lack of length of the stock muffler, now the questions is the best muffler for MDS

Subscribed for the responses.

mineralram 03-04-2013 05:38 PM

I have a solo performance Mach 40 on my truck and i get zero drone, They have a kit already built and ready to go.

westxsrt10 03-04-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rango88 (Post 1028965)

Corsa RSC (no drone for the 5.7 Hemi) After installing 3 other brands this one works.