DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Towing camper with 1500 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=135367)

cueist 03-05-2013 12:55 PM

Towing camper with 1500

I have a 2009 1500 QC 5.7l, towing a 29ft. bumper-pull camper (loaded aprox. 6000lbs). I have the towing package and 1000# WD sway control setup.

My situation is when towing, transmission temp climbs over 195F peak, but repeatedly drops to around 175F, and the bigger issue is trailer sway to the point of almost loss of control. I'm a veteran at towing trailers, but this is my first with a 1500.

Does anyone have suggestion on a transmission cooler option and what I can possibly install to suspension to stabilize this towing scenario?

emmyshemi 03-05-2013 01:21 PM

As far as suspension help, the air-lift 1000 air bags for the rear coil springs really helped me level the rear when towing mine. It was a easy install, and well worth the investment( under $100). A night and day difference when towing that kind of weight.

TRCM 03-05-2013 04:54 PM

I have the towing package on mine, and it has a transmission cooler. Yours should to if you truly have the towing package vice just a hitch.

I tow a trailer similar in weight (~ 6000 lbs, but only 25' long - yeah, she's old....like 1976 vintage), and when I towed it ~ 110 miles just this weekend, my trans temp never went above 130 deg @ 60 mph, and it was not flat terrain.

I think you meant 10000# on the WD hitch...LOL. I also have NO trailer sway at all when towing mine, and my truck is 100% stock.

FZBear10 03-05-2013 06:09 PM

How much tongue weight do you have? When there is too little tongue weight the trailer will gradually sway more and more with higher speed until it gets dangerous.

Butter 03-05-2013 10:50 PM

I towed a similar set up with no temp problems and no swaying but I did use torsion bars. It sounds like you have too much tong weight, not sure why your trans temp is fluctuating like that.

the persuader 03-05-2013 10:50 PM

I agree with FZBear. It sounds like the hitch isn't properly adjusted causing sway.

Stump3r 03-05-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FZBear10 (Post 1030527)
How much tongue weight do you have? When there is too little tongue weight the trailer will gradually sway more and more with higher speed until it gets dangerous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the persuader (Post 1030781)
I agree with FZBear. It sounds like the hitch isn't properly adjusted causing sway.

+3 I'm only pulling a 24' but 6000 lbs loaded with equalizer hitch and it pulls fantastic, damn thing doesn't move at all....even in a bad crosswind. Make sure you have your rig set up properly. Not enough tongue weight can cause horrific sway.

Hermes1 03-05-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FZBear10 (Post 1030527)

This is one of several causes of sway. Large trucks (semi's) blowing by, heavy wind gusts to name a couple. Best recommendation I can make is to get a high quality anti sway & weight distribution hitch combo. I have a Hensley, the only one that guarantees no sway. Expensive yes, but the elimination of a white knuckle freak show and true peace of mind while towing makes it worthwhile.

Coastline 03-06-2013 08:04 AM

I have also noticed if you have the tongue of your trailer up too high it will cause some sway. I agree with the others about too little weight on the tongue will cause sway as well. I had some sway in my trailer a while back and lowered the ball a couple inches and the sway went away. Hope you get it figured out.

KYSEAN 03-06-2013 09:40 AM

OP mentioned "Bumper Connection"? If that's the case, major problem and unsafe.