DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   I think I might be in love. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=135421)

united316 03-05-2013 11:41 PM

I think I might be in love.

I have been looking at the 2012 ram 2500 crew cab diesel. But when I was at the dealer today they got their first shipment of 2013's. Not much of a styling difference between the 2. But man that's a mean looking truck. It was also neat to see the grill open up when he shut it off to allow air flow through. Time to start convincing the wife.

Emorris69 03-06-2013 07:25 AM

You don't want a 2013 diesel, they had to seriously increase the emission protocol. Its a great looking truck but doesn't have the power of your 12. I was looking at them last week and my local dealer hasn't ordered a signal 13 diesel yet because no one up here wants them.

brandonjansen 03-06-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emorris69 (Post 1030934)
You don't want a 2013 diesel, they had to seriously increase the emission protocol. Its a great looking truck but doesn't have the power of your 12. I was looking at them last week and my local dealer hasn't ordered a signal 13 diesel yet because no one up here wants them.

Yup, second that. Most people who were gonna buy a '13 diesel are waiting for the '14's. From what I've heard the '14's won't have the urea (or whatever Dodge is using for the exhaust burner) like the '13's do.

Kcbigbadram 03-06-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjansen (Post 1031093)
Yup, second that. Most people who were gonna buy a '13 diesel are waiting for the '14's. From what I've heard the '14's won't have the urea (or whatever Dodge is using for the exhaust burner) like the '13's do.

I think it would be really weird for them to use it one year then quit again. what are they rumored to be replacing it with? back to only dpf? that would make no sense

brandonjansen 03-06-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kcbigbadram (Post 1031103)
I think it would be really weird for them to use it one year then quit again. what are they rumored to be replacing it with? back to only dpf? that would make no sense

I know it seemed weird to me too. I'm not sure what they would be going back to. I've just heard this through my Uncle. He get's a new 3500 cummins every year but he's thinking of not taking possession of the '13 that he order because it will be such a hard resale if the '14's don't have the urea system. So I'm not sure if that's 100% true or not, but he normally gets all the inside scoop with this stuff so it's very possible.

Kcbigbadram 03-06-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjansen (Post 1031121)
I know it seemed weird to me too. I'm not sure what they would be going back to. I've just heard this through my Uncle. He get's a new 3500 cummins every year but he's thinking of not taking possession of the '13 that he order because it will be such a hard resale if the '14's don't have the urea system. So I'm not sure if that's 100% true or not, but he normally gets all the inside scoop with this stuff so it's very possible.

thats very interesting. keep us updated if you hear anything else. im thinking of purchasing a '13 cummins, ive heard both good and bad about the def

huntergreen 03-07-2013 02:08 PM

imho, the urea additive will help the 6.7. the 13s have 3 different hp and torque specs for different trucks, the standard shift having the lowest. you can find a 13 with more power than they have offered before. i would only get a diesel if i was going to be pulling some heavy loads.

brandonjansen 03-07-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kcbigbadram (Post 1031181)
thats very interesting. keep us updated if you hear anything else. im thinking of purchasing a '13 cummins, ive heard both good and bad about the def

Here's what I do know about the urea systems on semi trucks.... the trucks that have it have worse fuel economy and less power. My dad owns his own truck (2002 Peterbilt 379 with a 550 CAT. No urea system) and after driving a few trucks that do have the urea system on it he said he will never buy a new truck that has it. So that gives you a bit of an idea on how bad it is.

Now that being said, it might not be AS bad on a Dodge Cummins.... but personally I wouldn't take the chance. I'd wait to find out what the '14's are going to come out with first.

blackrain86 03-11-2013 02:37 PM

My question would be, is it because it has the Urea system or that and other emission items? A 2002 vs 2013 is going to have a lot of emission differences.

So in other words does a truck with the same exact setup with and with out urea actually see a difference.

GTyankee 03-11-2013 03:06 PM

UREA is here to stay in the USA, at least until they discover something new

The new 2014 Chevy Cruze has it
2014 Ford Transit Van will have it

for 2014, Jeep has introduced a 240-horspower, 420-lb-ft, 3.0-liter direct injection turbo diesel. For North American duty, the VM Motori engine, built in Ferrara, Italy, has received a water cooled turbo and increased rail pressure of 29,000 psi. It will go roughly 10,000 miles on one 8.5 gallon tank of urea, meaning fill-ups will coincide with oil-changes. Jeep is stating the diesel Grand Cherokee will return 30 mpg on the highway, giving a one tank range of 730 miles along with the ability to tow 7400 lb. Let that sink in, 30 lb-ft of torque more than the V-8 and an extra 5 MPG over the V-6.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2NFujPKa5