DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Brakes (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152)
-   -   SRT calipers on Ram 1500 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=135426)

ratbastard 03-06-2013 12:11 AM

SRT calipers on Ram 1500

hey guys,
I saw an article in "Truckin" magazine where they had a 2011 ram 1500 and they put the new 6.4L in the thing. it was a beast!! But they also added the SRT - 4 piston calipers on it. Where the hell did they get them? What matches with the 2011 ram 2 wd suspension? I looked at the Brake calipers off a 2008 Cherokee SRT - 8 and they were not even close..

I know they had some, as they had the upgrade in the magazine, I am just curious if they had to swap out the whole front suspension from a new Challenger / or if I could just grab some Calipers from a wrecker....

Any Brake wizard out there? Seems like lotsa people do all these engine mods and then forget about the brakes..

I am going to do the following: Comp cams- 274 cam, afe CAI, Moes 87 mm throttle body, headers, B & G race tune, to start with... but I also need to be able to stop this beast.

I will post pics of the mods as soon as the SNOW is gone....
I have to use Studded pure winter tires, plus about 800 lbs in the bed to move around up North..

I am hoping for a REAL - 425- 450 RWHP - Dyno pull when this is done in the spring ( May ) I will post a video on youtube and share the link.

Thanks,

Stump3r 03-06-2013 01:06 AM

Sorry can't help with your search for the calipers but DAMN you have to let me come take a look at that beast when it's finished!!!!

CdnoilRAM 03-06-2013 07:31 PM

They may have used the SRT10 calipers, not any of the SRT8s. The only company I know making a brake upgrade kit is the SSBC front kit and Brembo recently put out a GT kit for the trucks, for $5K. For that level of power you don't have to go to a big brake kit, just upgrading your pads and rotors will make a big difference, especially if you're running bigger/heavier wheels. My build will be getting EBC pads and rotors until I need to throw the Brembo kit on.

rb, what are you doing for your transmission? At those levels your rfe won't last too long.

white4x4 03-07-2013 09:53 PM

i was gonna say why dont you look at a set of Brembo's off the SRT 8 Jeep? theres also another solution to your problem, theres a bunch of guys with 2G eclipses running brembos off evo 8's and 9's, they are basically making adapters to run them on there cars, just an idea for ya

heres the forum
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hand...on-1g-too.html

ratbastard 03-08-2013 12:47 PM

what is an RFE? will the tranny hold?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 1031427)
They may have used the SRT10 calipers, not any of the SRT8s. The only company I know making a brake upgrade kit is the SSBC front kit and Brembo recently put out a GT kit for the trucks, for $5K. For that level of power you don't have to go to a big brake kit, just upgrading your pads and rotors will make a big difference, especially if you're running bigger/heavier wheels. My build will be getting EBC pads and rotors until I need to throw the Brembo kit on.

rb, what are you doing for your transmission? At those levels your rfe won't last too long.

Hey thanks for the reply, will the tranny not hold the power, I hear they are having some shifting issues from 1 rst and 2 nd in the tuners.. but what is an rfe?

Mikr

CdnoilRAM 03-08-2013 07:34 PM

The 45, 545 and 65rfe transmission are all the same, they just have different computer mapping that changes the shift patterns and adds additional gears. RFE stands for Rear wheel drive Full Electronic controls.

It's isn't so much the 1/2 shift, as much as the 2nd prime clutch set. There's a lot of room between the clutches and they begin to slip, which burns out the clutch pack. Unfortunately, this begins to happen around the 400hp mark. You need to upgrade the tranny and most important, get a proper program that is designed specifically for the tranny. You may be able to get away with just upgrading the valvebody, you just have to avoid 3rd gear WOT downshifts.

ratbastard 03-22-2013 12:38 AM

Ok,

So should i use something like a Sharadon Valvebody? I know Diablo has their tuner out now... but the tranny control options are pretty weak so far.

Any suggestions?
M

CdnoilRAM 03-22-2013 01:47 AM

A valve body should keep you ahead of the game. If you want to go further then you'd really need to upgrade the tranny itself with a proper transmission tune.