DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Bully Dog GT installed on A-pillar (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=135467)

brandonjansen 03-06-2013 02:44 PM

Bully Dog GT installed on A-pillar
 
3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys. Before I bought my Bully Dog I was looking around the forum a bit for pictures of guys installing them on their A-pillar. I didn't find anything so I thought I'd share mine in case anyone is wondering what it looks like.

The A-pillar gauge pod is super easy to install. Literally took me 5 minutes when I got home from work last night. Just follow the instructions and you won't have a problem.

The Bully Dog was also a really easy install. What actually took me the longest was installing some relays and building a bracket for them (sorry don't have a pic of that). My reason for that was the lack of keyed 12v power on these trucks. So I built a bracket that mounts on the inner fender between the batter and the firewall. Installed two relays on it, one for my AirLift compressor and the other one to run any accessories I need to such as the Bully Dog. Other than that it's just plugging the adapter into your OBD II port and running your wires nicely.

As far as my first impressions of the Bully Dog go, I love it. I'm running the regular tune right now (87 octane). Definitely have noticed a bit of a power/torque increase, especially on the bottom end. Haven't had it on long enough to comment on any fuel economy gains. Once I run a few tanks through and do my calculations I'll update the thread. It's definitely nice having all the gauge read outs too. I like to see what everything in my truck is doing so it's pretty nice to have all those gauges on one screen rather than running tons of separate gauges in the truck.

One thing that hasn't been working for me yet is the special functions in the tuner. I tried to disable the DRL's and driver door unlock but for some reason it didn't work. I'll maybe have to do a bit of messing around with it or contact Bully Dog to see what's up with that. If any of you have had problems with this I'd love to know how you fixed it.

So let me know if you guys have any questions about the install or the product. If you want to get a Bully Dog for yourself PM jhinkle1989 from Discount Auto Performance. He'll hook you up.

dodgert 03-06-2013 03:37 PM

lol hope you dont go to dealer they are not stupid they will know what that pillar is for

brandonjansen 03-06-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgert (Post 1031219)
lol hope you dont go to dealer they are not stupid they will know what that pillar is for

All I have to do is take out one screw and slide it out. Not very hard....

Asur 03-06-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjansen (Post 1031187)
Hey guys. Before I bought my Bully Dog I was looking around the forum a bit for pictures of guys installing them on their A-pillar. I didn't find anything so I thought I'd share mine in case anyone is wondering what it looks like.

The A-pillar gauge pod is super easy to install. Literally took me 5 minutes when I got home from work last night. Just follow the instructions and you won't have a problem.

The Bully Dog was also a really easy install. What actually took me the longest was installing some relays and building a bracket for them (sorry don't have a pic of that). My reason for that was the lack of keyed 12v power on these trucks. So I built a bracket that mounts on the inner fender between the batter and the firewall. Installed two relays on it, one for my AirLift compressor and the other one to run any accessories I need to such as the Bully Dog. Other than that it's just plugging the adapter into your OBD II port and running your wires nicely.

As far as my first impressions of the Bully Dog go, I love it. I'm running the regular tune right now (87 octane). Definitely have noticed a bit of a power/torque increase, especially on the bottom end. Haven't had it on long enough to comment on any fuel economy gains. Once I run a few tanks through and do my calculations I'll update the thread. It's definitely nice having all the gauge read outs too. I like to see what everything in my truck is doing so it's pretty nice to have all those gauges on one screen rather than running tons of separate gauges in the truck.

One thing that hasn't been working for me yet is the special functions in the tuner. I tried to disable the DRL's and driver door unlock but for some reason it didn't work. I'll maybe have to do a bit of messing around with it or contact Bully Dog to see what's up with that. If any of you have had problems with this I'd love to know how you fixed it.

So let me know if you guys have any questions about the install or the product. If you want to get a Bully Dog for yourself PM jhinkle1989 from Discount Auto Performance. He'll hook you up.

Nice setup, been running mine on the 91+ for 2 weeks now and love it, love the shift points now, for me just the way the transmission does not search for gears anymore makes it worth the investment, hated how the truck used to drive before. Anyways, nice setup.

Chris b 03-06-2013 03:53 PM

Got the same pillar pod but mine holds a diablo trinity. just saying it works with other tuners to.

brandonjansen 03-06-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asur (Post 1031226)
Nice setup, been running mine on the 91+ for 2 weeks now and love it, love the shift points now, for me just the way the transmission does not search for gears anymore makes it worth the investment, hated how the truck used to drive before. Anyways, nice setup.

Ya the shift points are definitely the most noticeable thing. As soon as I went to get on the highway for the first time with it (uphill on ramp) I noticed it was WAY better. It actually held the gears long enough to keep the speed all the way up the hill rather than going back and forth between them all the time. After a couple tanks on 87 I'll probably switch to the 91 tune to see how it feels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris b (Post 1031233)
Got the same pillar pod but mine holds a diablo trinity. just saying it works with other tuners to.

Yes, thanks, forgot to mention that. You just need a different adapter.

brandonjansen 04-30-2013 07:11 PM

So a bit of an update on the tuner...

So far I have only ran it on the regular 87 tune. I've been playing around with the economy display every week to get it pretty much dead on to what my hand calculations are at. I now have new tires (35's) coming next week so I'm sure there will be a little more playing around to do in order to make the display 100% correct again. After I get that one right I will probably bump up to the performance 91+ tune to see how it feels.

As stated above the shift points are a night and day difference with the tuner. I can't imagine going back to stock. The truck has noticeably more power and torque which is can actually be put to use since traction control is off. There's been a number of times where I've put my foot into it a bit to start going up a hill and when it drops a gear it spins the tire no problem (yes I meant only one tire... unfortunately I don't have an LSD). From a stand still doing 1/4" mile runs etc, it will spin that tire forever if you torque it up to high. So definitely no complaints there. At the moment I forget what my quarter mile and 60 foot times were with it. I'll have to do a few runs before I put the big wheels and tires on to compare.

Now I know everyone wants to know about the gas mileage. It's hard to say exactly how big of a difference just the tuner itself made because I did a bunch of mods (exhaust, CAI, and tuner) all at once and didn't have enough time in between them for proper hand calculated MPG on each tank. But here's the numbers I do remember. Before the tuner I was getting around 570-580 km's per tank. With the tuner I will get 640-650 no problem. With a mix of city and highway driving I normally average around 17.5 MPG US (21.0 MPG IMP, 13.4 L/100kms). Keep in mind where I live I am constantly going up and downhill. There are very little flat areas, even on the freeway. My trip MPG for just the freeway driving even with all the hills is normally around 19-20 MPG US. City driving is normally around 14 MPG.

I've said a few times that I think if I was on a flat freeway somewhere I'd get 21-22 MPG no problem. Well today I had pretty much a full freeway drive from Port Metro Vancouver back to my office in Langley, BC (approx 37 km's/23 mi). I know it's not a super long trip but it's the most level part of the freeway around here. Here are my results:

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/...psb61edf19.jpg

I definitely can't complain about that! Exceeded my expectations by reaching 23 MPG (27.6 MPG IMP, 10.2 L/100km). When I got off the highway it was actually at 24 MPG but by the time I stopped at a few lights and such before getting back to my office it lowered back down to 23. Again, no complaints from me. Now when I do put the 35's on I'm hoping I keep fairly decent mileage... but only time will tell.

In case you didn't look at my information remember I do have the 4.7L and my mod list is in my signature.

Asur 04-30-2013 07:56 PM

Sweet, thanks for the update, real cool, reps for this as soon as the site will let me give ya them lol. damb, it keeps telling me I got to give some to others before I can give you more lmao, so I go give some to others it says I have to wait 24hr :LOL: oh well your on my list

brandonjansen 04-30-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asur (Post 1085362)
Sweet, thanks for the update, real cool, reps for this as soon as the site will let me give ya them lol. damb, it keeps telling me I got to give some to others before I can give you more lmao, so I go give some to others it says I have to wait 24hr :LOL: oh well your on my list

Haha, thanks. I'll be waiting for them ;)

What kind of economy have you been getting with your BD? You still have the stock wheels and tires on right?

Asur 04-30-2013 08:13 PM

Stock size yes, but grabber AT2's, I don't get much economy cause I am always on the throttle lmao, but am looking at some good economy with the new Fuel Smart I installed, already think its working. time will tell.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger