DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Should I buy it, 2008 Mega (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=135508)

noxided 03-06-2013 09:53 PM

Should I buy it, 2008 Mega

Looking to buy an 08 mega cab shortbed. it has 131,000 and is all stock.

its very clean, looks like its been taken care of.

At 17,000 miles it had the turbo and dpf replaced at dealer under warranty and nothing else.

This will be my first dodge, im a Powerstroke guy, but my 6.4 has burned me for the last time.

Canadian Hemi Pride 03-07-2013 01:35 AM

Eww Powerstroke.
The megacab is real nice and roomy...and a cummins will make the powerstroke look like a toy. I would say to check the frame and underbody for rust.. but noticed your in texas.. so that would be a bit different then Canada.
If everything (motor, underbody, frame, body, tranny) are all solid.. I see no reason to not pull the trigger and get er. A cummins can last forever with proper care.

noxided 03-07-2013 11:45 AM

Thanks Canadian Hemi Pride, I may be getting it today. It wont pull or have the power of my Powerstroke, but maybe later on I can do some mods to it.

My 08 F-350 has 530hp and 1200lbs torque to the wheels. I typically pull 30-30K behind me at 75 mph at only 20psi no problem. Ill miss that.

Canadian Hemi Pride 03-07-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noxided (Post 1032094)
Thanks Canadian Hemi Pride, I may be getting it today. It wont pull or have the power of my Powerstroke, but maybe later on I can do some mods to it.

My 08 F-350 has 530hp and 1200lbs torque to the wheels. I typically pull 30-30K behind me at 75 mph at only 20psi no problem. Ill miss that.

Where there is a will, there is a way...
Mod it up a bit and it will be much better.

My dad has an 08 F350 as one of his work truck to tow RV's.. prefer his 98 cummins.. even though the body has been through several forms of hell..

dodge man 03-07-2013 01:43 PM

Is it a dually? If it were me, and I did a lot of heavy towing, I'd probably stay away from a MegaCab, but thats just me. The Mega Cab is nice if you haul a lot of people, the back seat is huge.

The 6.7 makes a lot of power, but the 5.9 is simpler, with less emissions equipment. I personally would look for a 5.9 Mega Cab if thats what you want.

Ever since Ford started with the 6.0, then the 6.4, I've seen a lot of guys turned off by Fords. I've heard the 6.7 Ford is better, but its too early to tell yet.

JimsRamTruck2012 03-07-2013 01:43 PM

I would do as Canadian Hemi Pride posted. Plus look for any seals that might be weeping or any other fluid leaks. Also, check the body panels and frame to see if they show any signs of being in an accident. :wavey:

Good Luck With The Purchase! :smileup:

noxided 03-07-2013 01:45 PM

I do a lot of long haul heavy towing and need a big back seat to sleep in. And yes its a dually.

Why stay away from the mega cab, other than crushed cab corners?

huntergreen 03-07-2013 01:47 PM

if you need the diesel, the 6.7 is imho, the best one out there now. mr. epa has pretty much ruined the diesels.

dodge man 03-07-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noxided (Post 1032160)
I do a lot of long haul heavy towing and need a big back seat to sleep in. And yes its a dually.

Why stay away from the mega cab, other than crushed cab corners?

Its just extra weight in the truck that isn't needed for towing. Not a big difference though, maybe 200 lbs. If you need the space and would use it, its worth it though.

Canadian Hemi Pride 03-07-2013 06:25 PM

I agree with dodge man about the 5.9 being simpler then the 6.7... The 6.7 is still a great engine. but as stated above.. EPA laws and eco bullshit have made the diesels into a more complicated restricted engine.. no matter what company.. Hell some of the new Duramax's sound like a gas 4 banger they are so quiet.

If you are gonna be sleeping the truck. The megacab definitely seems like the way to go.. Could have a party back there.
A 5.9 is the best engine, it all comes down to personal preference=The year of the truck, how many clicks are on it, and the overall look.