DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Question for the performance guys (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=135550)

wolfman01 03-07-2013 09:19 AM

Question for the performance guys
 
Putzing around on the internet this morning happened to show an ad for a throttle body spacer. I've obviously heard of them, and have heard that they are supposed to boost power. My question is this: How can installing a chunk of aluminum between the throttle body and intake improve power?

dodge man 03-07-2013 12:45 PM

Its a waste of money, that simple.

The idea goes back to the days of carbs. You could put a spacer under the carb and it actually did have an affect, it increased the plenum volume. If I recall, this helped the top end horsepower, but hurt low end torque. On a modern fuel injected engine, its a waste of money.

brandonjansen 03-07-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodge man (Post 1032162)
Its a waste of money, that simple.

The idea goes back to the days of carbs. You could put a spacer under the carb and it actually did have an affect, it increased the plenum volume. If I recall, this helped the top end horsepower, but hurt low end torque. On a modern fuel injected engine, its a waste of money.

^ +1. They work great on a lot of carb applications. They increase the amount of room for the fuel to mix with the air before turning corners in the intake. It gives more power and torque overall on the right application. On a fuel injected engine the fuel is injected later on in the intake manifold or directly into the cylinder. So the concept of giving the fuel and air more time to mix goes right out the window. If anything they give you a bit more an air vortex in your intake but you won't notice any gains from that. For a fuel injected engine all they are is a $130 whistle.

seanbeckaroo 03-07-2013 03:17 PM

Ohh, this should get interesting....:popc1:

RamTech 03-07-2013 03:38 PM

I will say TB spacers are useful if you want to plumb in a N2O nozzle.

HemiLonestar 03-07-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTech (Post 1032286)
I will say TB spacers are useful if you want to plumb in a N2O nozzle.

X2, drill and tap it, put in a nitrous nozzle. They tell you it swirls the air/fuel mixture....except with port injection the fuel isn't anywhere near the throttle body. I'd guess it would work well on an old TBI engine.

CdnoilRAM 03-07-2013 08:15 PM

Allow me to demonstrate the common effects of a throttle body spacer on a hemi engine:

http://www.ramforumz.com/PHOTOPOST/d...odytestni7.jpg

brandonjansen 03-07-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 1032549)
Allow me to demonstrate the common effects of a throttle body spacer on a hemi engine:

http://www.ramforumz.com/PHOTOPOST/d...odytestni7.jpg

Haha love it! +1 for that!

rango88 03-07-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 1032549)
Allow me to demonstrate the common effects of a throttle body spacer on a hemi engine:

http://www.ramforumz.com/PHOTOPOST/d...odytestni7.jpg

Post of the day? definitely :)

chefred112 03-07-2013 10:22 PM

what are you guys talking about? my tb spacer works great on mine!!..lol

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/...y/PIC-0152.jpg


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger