DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   Off road help (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=135696)

keggy22 03-08-2013 08:57 PM

Off road help

Hey guys I am trying to make my truck more off-road capable and I'm wondering whether to buy a winch, new tires, or a locking differential. I am limited on money so I'd only like to do one. please tell me which would help me have more traction off road and in the mud.
Thx,
Keggy22

gonefishin776 03-08-2013 09:34 PM

I feel like while all three is great assets, whAts the point in having somethin to pull u out if u don't even have tires that can get to the swampy stuff in :LOL: I'd get tires first, then wheel with a buddy until u get a winch...even then go with a buddy.

Ram725 03-08-2013 09:38 PM

Depends on how much you want to spend...

But a winch is usually a must... 12k pound winch with snatch blocks. I would run synthetic line since you will be getting deep. Cables run the risk of snapping although I have never had that happen.

Tires are the most important asset offroad. You can the most bada** offroad truck with A/T and you wont get through the smallest stuff. Get an aggressive M/T such as Pro Comp Xterrain (my personal favorite), Nitto Mud Graps (Not my favorite, but good offroad), or some super swampers.

I would carry a hi-lift. Very useful.

Lockers are always great and so is better gearing such as 4.56 or 4.10..

keggy22 03-08-2013 10:51 PM

I have a hi - lift but I have yet you use it and I will be up north (Michigan) all summer so I will explore the local orv trails alone ( no buddy to get me if the world ends lol) that being said an aggressive mt is what I should go with?

TEDD 03-08-2013 10:54 PM

Tires for sure.

5point7John 03-08-2013 11:05 PM

I would do tires. makes such a difference.

h2oman 03-08-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram725 (Post 1033474)
Depends on how much you want to spend...

But a winch is usually a must... 12k pound winch with snatch blocks. I would run synthetic line since you will be getting deep. Cables run the risk of snapping although I have never had that happen.

Tires are the most important asset offroad. You can the most bada** offroad truck with A/T and you wont get through the smallest stuff. Get an aggressive M/T such as Pro Comp Xterrain (my personal favorite), Nitto Mud Graps (Not my favorite, but good offroad), or some super swampers.

I would carry a hi-lift. Very useful.

Lockers are always great and so is better gearing such as 4.56 or 4.10..

Absolutely what he said.

ridgerunnerseoinc 03-10-2013 09:44 AM

While all 3 are importain, I'd go for lockers. What's the point in having a "4 wheel drive" truck when only one tire in the front and one tire in the back are spinning? What U have now is a glorified 2WD that looks like a 4 wheel drive. Winch would be the cheapest, followed by tires, then lockers, while more expensive, will give U the best bang for the buck IMO. Spend the $ now on lockers (rear first then front) and then get the others things on your list later.

keggy22 03-10-2013 07:01 PM

any lockers you would suggest ridgerunnerseoinc?
also which tires would anyones suggest?
paying my way through college but i love mud hahs

Ram725 03-10-2013 07:23 PM

My personal favorite mud tire is pro comp XTERRAIN. I've had them in 35" and 37". Fantastic tires. Never did me wrong Offroad.