DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Conversion: Center Console to Column Shift (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=135733)

ironchef2011 03-09-2013 12:07 PM

Conversion: Center Console to Column Shift

5 Attachment(s)
Most people convert the other way but I actually prefer having the additional seat and a shifter on the column. So here is a detailed list of the parts required to convert my 2012 Dodge Ram regular cab and some pictures and observations as well. Please note that the parts listed below are the black/slate grey coloring.

Parts Required:
  • Radio Bezel (w/115v outlet)- 1KZ311SDAC
  • Radio Bezel (w/o 115v outlet)- 1EB041SDAC
  • Cupholder- 1EA971DVAI
  • Right Side Panel (w/12v outlet)- 1HR95XDVAB
  • Left Side Panel (w/12v outlet)- 1HR94XDVAB
  • Closeout Panel- 1EB14XDVAA
  • Shift Cable- 68092061AB
  • Cable Bracket- 68042294AA
  • Lever- 68092747AA
  • Shifter Assembly- 5057536AD
  • Column Shroud- 1GD32XDVAB
  • Retractable Center Seatbelt Assembly-
  • Center Seat- **Find one on EBay or CL as these are mad expensive new**

The key here is that everything is a very easy switchover. Here are the steps:

Removal:
  • Remove Center Console
  • Unplug and Detach Shifter Assembly
  • Remove Radio Bezel
  • Remove Plastic Column Shroud (behind steering wheel)
  • Remove Shifter Jump Harness (extension wire from main wiring harness)
  • Remove Shift Cable and Mounting
  • Remove All Switches from Radio Bezel
  • Remove Rear Cab Panel

Install:
  • Install Switches to New Radio Bezel
  • Install New Radio Bezel
  • Install Cupholder
  • Install Side Panels
  • Install Bottom Closeout Panel
  • Install Column Shift Assembly
  • Install New Shift Cable and Bracketry
  • Install Seat Belt Assembly
  • Install Rear Cab Panel
  • Install Center Seat (make sure you get it with the two brackets that mount to the passenger seat, bolts/nuts and the two seat belt buckles)

After this my friends, you are done! The carpeting is the same so no need for any customization whatsoever. The center seat mounts right up, the rear cab panel has all the mount provisions for the seatbelt assembly and is ready to go as well. You do NOT need a new steering column either as some have noted. All in, this seems complex but can be done in a day easy. The hard part was tracking down all of the correct parts to do this properly! That being said, I want to give a HUGE shoutout to Benny at MOPARPARTSONLINE!

ironchef2011 03-09-2013 12:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's some finished pics prior to the column shifter install......

Chris b 03-09-2013 01:44 PM

glad you got it worked out friend. waiting on pics.

Rambabe 03-09-2013 04:16 PM

Thanks so very much for posting this. The center console is the reason I've not yet purchased a new Ram. I mean seriously, who wants to have their right leg rubbin' up against a plastic box with a silly automatic shifter stickin' out? Looking forward to the pics, and thanks again!

ironchef2011 03-09-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Thanks so very much for posting this. The center console is the reason I've not yet purchased a new Ram. I mean seriously, who wants to have their right leg rubbin' up against a plastic box with a silly automatic shifter stickin' out? Looking forward to the pics, and thanks again!
I couldn't agree more!

Chris b 03-10-2013 11:32 PM

so where's the shifter???

ironchef2011 03-11-2013 06:35 AM

In those pics, it's on the floor by the drivers seat temporarily. This allowed me to complete the console and seat while I waited for the parts to arrive for the column. Now, the shifter is on the column just like any other Ram.

rango88 03-11-2013 07:04 AM

Good write up :)

TriSum 03-16-2013 12:00 PM

Thanks for the write up. I'm not sure how long I will keep mine either, it is just too big and kills all the interior space.

David

ironchef2011 03-16-2013 05:04 PM

I couldn't agree more. And after some time with the column shift setup, it's simply perfect. I've been able to haul more inside, have both my daughters with me, and best of all, the whole cab just feels roomier. I've never liked center consoles that link up with the dash as they are simply space killers.