DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   S&B CAI- worth it or no ? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=135800)

HeMi BosS 03-10-2013 04:51 AM

S&B CAI- worth it or no ?

is it worth it to get it for my truck? its going to be my first CAI, whats the point of getting it.

if i get it should i get 85mm or 87mm (throttle body)

air scoop or no ???

will it void warranty ???

thanks for the help

ValleyRacer 03-11-2013 12:03 AM

How would the warranty be voided?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeMi BosS (Post 1034459)
is it worth it to get it for my truck? its going to be my first CAI, whats the point of getting it.

if i get it should i get 85mm or 87mm (throttle body)

air scoop or no ???

will it void warranty ???

thanks for the help

How do you figure the warranty would be "voided"? You put on a CAI and the rear axle fails, would that "void" the warranty. You get the bored TB and you have trouble with a brake caliper - how would that (TB) "void" the warranty?

Ram67x 03-11-2013 12:07 AM

S&b says on their site that it will not affect the warrantee, but at 299. I wondered if it was worth it myself, I would think it would help with mileage and HP ??

brentwood 03-11-2013 12:18 AM

The s&b cai is the best quality, best fitting intake I ever had.
But, imo no intake is worth $300.
It will allow more airflow than stock, but it will not be noticeable enough to feel a difference. Some people say they do, but its mental. This was the only performance mod I did, that did not make a def. improvement on my 0-60 time.
You will notice a slight difference in sound.
Keep your stock intake, or try to find a used cai for cheap.

BiggBoy 03-11-2013 01:00 AM

I put a S&B on my truck, don't regret it at all. The quality alone is worth the money. I don't have dyno numbers. But I feel it mad a difference.

HorseMan 03-11-2013 01:11 AM

Great quality product. Had one on my Ford. Changed the sound a bit. No improvement in mileage or HP. Looks great when you raise the hood tho!

Ram725 03-11-2013 03:04 AM

I absolutely love my S&B. I work for ram and the head tech at my dealership said I'd have no warranty issues.

Good build quality, great price, and in my opinion one of the best intakes.

ValleyRacer 03-11-2013 04:07 AM

Not just HP increases

CAI intakes are alo very useful for high altitude performance. I'll bet any owner will see an increase in throttle response and mpg.
I have CAI applicaitons on all my cars for the last 20+ years
If you want to spend less money, look at Specre brand. Or drop in a high flow aftermarket filter like a K&N if you don't want to spend a hefty $300.

Georshrwd 03-11-2013 08:27 AM

Just installed an S&B with scoop on my truck last week. It's a great kit, the quality is awesome. I did not see any gains in gas mileage but that could be because its hard to keep my foot out of the throttle! It's not really noticeable at idle but man when you step on it there isa huge difference in sound. I would recommend this kit.

Asur 03-11-2013 09:02 AM

The Ram 1500 4th gen trucks have a very efficient Air Intake. Unless you will be using a tuner to change the mappings of the engine to use more air than it was originally engineered to do, all you will get is some neat sound from the front of your truck. The horsepower gains they tell you are hog wash and whatever hp gains you may get will be unnoticeable. Now if you had an older truck with a more restrictive air intake, then I would say yes, you will have some gains, but not in the 4th gen trucks. That being said, I have a CAI., love the sound it makes on my engine, also have a free flow exhaust, love the sound there also, but until I put in a tuner, there was nothing to write home to mamma about. These trucks are engineered to have the most horsepower they can and be the most fuel efficient at the same time. Throttle body spacers wont help either. If you don't believe this, take your truck, dino it, put on the CAI and dino again, you will see, no gains, maybe at 100mph + with full throttle you might see some differences but do you drive your truck like that all day, all week? If you want hp, its in the low end that you want it, where you will have it for you in daily driving. If you buy this stuff to get HP then your buying it for the wrong reasons, if your buying it to have a permanent filter for as long as you own your truck, or for the sound it creates, for the fun of modding your truck, then this is for you.