DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Best kind of Tonneau Cover for 3rd Gen Rams (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=135895)

RepentaRAM777 03-11-2013 03:28 AM

Best kind of Tonneau Cover for 3rd Gen Rams

I was thinking of investing in a Tonneau Cover for my Ram but I don't know whether or not to go hard cover, tri-fold, locking, or soft cover? however I' looking for MPG increases and security at the same time so should i go locking,or tri-fold?

Hermes1 03-11-2013 02:14 PM

First any mpg increases you may get will be so minimal it is not worth factoring into getting or not getting a tonneau cover and if so, which style. I would think if you are going to get a tonneau cover, you would want one that locks and is hard, otherwise you defeat part of the reason to have one... security. As to which style, you have to evaluate how you use or plan to use your bed, which will dictate what works best for your needs. The fiberglass hard covers look very nice, are secure but I did not get one because they tend to limit cargo height to the height of the bed, unless you are willing to ride with it partially up, which I am not. I went with the folding style (4-folds) Bakflip F1. I liked the versatility of the folding style, it locks (as long as you have a locking tailgate), is leak proof, very durable and well made. There are a number of threads on this forum that discuss pros and cons of different styles brands etc. They may help you to decide. Hope this helps.

RepentaRAM777 03-11-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermes1 (Post 1035583)
First any mpg increases you may get will be so minimal it is not worth factoring into getting or not getting a tonneau cover and if so, which style. I would think if you are going to get a tonneau cover, you would want one that locks and is hard, otherwise you defeat part of the reason to have one... security. As to which style, you have to evaluate how you use or plan to use your bed, which will dictate what works best for your needs. The fiberglass hard covers look very nice, are secure but I did not get one because they tend to limit cargo height to the height of the bed, unless you are willing to ride with it partially up, which I am not. I went with the folding style (4-folds) Bakflip F1. I liked the versatility of the folding style, it locks (as long as you have a locking tailgate), is leak proof, very durable and well made. There are a number of threads on this forum that discuss pros and cons of different styles brands etc. They may help you to decide. Hope this helps.

Unfortunately I don't think my tailgate locks, have to double check that one. I'm mainly just gonna be using it to load a few garbage bags, a hockey bag, some loading boxes, or quite honestly nothing. So now I have to ask, how much did yours cost? And was there anything cheaper with just as much security? Or am I asking too much with all these details?

Hermes1 03-11-2013 10:42 PM

My BakFlip F1 as I recall was right around $1000.00. The F1 is their best of the folding style, but they have less expensive ones and then there are other brands that may be less expensive, hopefully others will chime in on other units good and bad. I know with my unit, in order to make the bed totally secure a locking tail gate is required, there may be other brands that do not require a locking tailgate but I do not know for sure.

davenator 03-12-2013 10:30 PM

Heads up guys!! Bak Fibermax 126203 for quad cab (6`4") just went on sale for 734.00 on Amazon.com only!!
Regular was and is 849 everywhere else. Just ordered it myself. It`s a kickass deal.

Gecko 03-13-2013 01:03 AM

If you are looking for a good soft cover I have the Access Lorado Tonneau cover and it looks awesome on the back of the truck. Doesn't stick up too high and looks sleek. Just a thought if you're going to consider a soft cover.