DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Completed full spark plug change (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=135928)

rsg1963 03-11-2013 03:26 PM

Completed full spark plug change

Thought I would share my experiences with this weekends plug swap for anyone contemplating thier own. I am skipping details like "I removed the airbox..."
a) First of all, what came out of my 2010 truck were 16 NGK (92174) LZFR5C-11 and that's what went back in. The cheapest I found them was for $4.39 each at O'Reiley Auto parts.
b) The gap was perfect on each plug so no change there.
c) Accessing most of the plugs (as mentioned on this forum many times) was not hard except for a couple spots; One was the passenger-side rear where I found it easier to remove a two screw bracket that held a wire bundle.The other tough spot was by the brake booster (driver's side). Two sets of plugs are harder to get if you do not have a 4" extension. Most 3/8" extensions are 3" or 6". So I had to get creative with 1/4" extensions. Basically I dropped the socket into the plug hole, then followed with a short extension, then followed with a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter. Once loosened, I did the reverse one piece at a time. Installing the new plugs went the same way, one tool piece at a time.
d) The rest of the 10 plugs were completely uneventfull. I do not believe in anti-seize for plugs because it changes the torque to easily, and my old plugs with 50K miles on them, looked good on the threads that were exposed to combustion. (meaning they were not an issue to remove) But I do believe strongly in electrical grease which I applied to the plug ceramic and a bit on the boot before install.
e) While I hoped for some awesome change in performance, sound, idle....SOMETHING! I honestly do not notice any difference at all. :4-dontknow:

Final thoughts: I was suprised how lightly the screws were torqued on removing the coil packs and equally suprised how tough the initial breaking torque on removing the plugs was. After they broke free 1/16th of a turn, they all hand-threaded out super easy.
Hope this helps somebody!

gonefishin776 03-11-2013 03:30 PM

I just did mine this weekend too. I used a magnetic spark plug socket and it worked AMAZING. highly suggest it. Other than that just used standard 3/8"s drive extensions. The passenger rear was the worst, didn't remove the wire bundle, took about 15 minutes for that. The brake booster wasn't that bad at all. My buddy did the other 12 while i prepped the new plugs and handed them to him. I have smaller hands so i did the hard to reach spots.

I can't believe the dealership wanted 5/6 shop hours to do what took me not even 2 and it was my first time ever changing spark plugs.

02 Ram 03-11-2013 03:33 PM

same here. just did mine the other day. the pass. side rear was a pain with the harness on top of the coil, and the spark plug socket wouldnt come out after installing them. other than that it was easy and this was my first time doing it in a V8. it took me 6 hours to do by myself though :o

rsg1963 03-11-2013 05:42 PM

Took me about 4.5 hours because of a trip to the auto parts store to try and find a better extension. With the right extension the passenger-rear would have also been the toughest until I moved that harness.

Great idea on the magnetic socket, I will look for one now.

letsjet 03-11-2013 06:09 PM

That's why I love my 4.7L V8, only 8 plugs to change.

Outlaw 03-11-2013 08:30 PM

id rather change 8 more plugs and have 80+ more HP!!

letsjet 03-11-2013 09:51 PM

When I want more horsepower I just get into one of my Challengers!

Outlaw 03-11-2013 09:57 PM

True!!

Didn't see that in your sig

RAMMED84 03-11-2013 11:04 PM

I just bought an 04 with 28,000 miles. Should I change mine? Anything else needing changed at that time? What should the gap be?

CdnoilRAM 03-11-2013 11:52 PM

I'm down to <30min if I'm taking my time on my changes. They get easier when you learn all the tricks. I can do a plug swap with a buddy at the track in under 15min with each of us taking a side. I've never worried about torque spec on plugs, snug with a 3/8" ratchet is plenty of torque, and I ran a high compression engine 11.4:1 on 91 with a 150 shot. I did always use anti-seize just because of how often I would swap plugs, I never want to gall any threads.