DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   85mm Fastman, and overall improvement. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=135958)

hodgeee 03-11-2013 07:49 PM

85mm Fastman, and overall improvement.

I know, I know not another thread on throttle bodies!

I just installed mine today, 85mm from fastman. Man what just a little porting and smoothing will do was quit surprizing. I would recommend this in a moment. I am sure with my other mods and tunning with a RCSB my improvements are probably more noticable than others might get, but HemmiFever has tuned my truck for the added bolt ons, I just need to finish installing them. I immediatley noticed the difference in throttle response around the first corner.

I do notice that whenever I have added a power adder, it seems like the truck kinda of hiccups a little for the first couple applications of the throttle, like it is seeing the new part and adjusting for it, but then a couple of minutes later and it seems as if it was as smooth like it had always been there. Wide open throttle, seems just a tad stronger too. It seems like I can feel the improvement, although relativaly small overall, it seems like it is there from off idle to redline. A lot of other mods have not given me that kind of improvement over the rpm range like this did.

Its funny, I barely have to touch my throttle any more for normal driving, when before it felt like I had to mash the throttle to get it going, before all the modifications. It makes me love my truck more everyday, and I actually look forward to when I have to run an errand or drive to work. Makes the mundane chores a little more worthwhile.

Well, gears go in on the 22nd, 3.55s to 4.10s and hopefully by this time next 2 months I hope to have the converter in, and the long tubes installed. Check to see if HemmiFever wants to look over the tune one more time, then I will dyno my truck and post the results. I will by that time have all the bolt in power mods for this truck that are readily available!...............Heads and cam hopefully by the end of the year!!!???

Chris b 03-11-2013 09:08 PM

What headers are you going with?

hodgeee 03-12-2013 01:04 AM

Torn, between doing some custom fab on some obx's or pacesetters, or kooks, thenjust custom y-pipe it. It would be soo affordable, but I really really like the ARH's, and the fact that everything I need is included in the kit. I can start the install in my garage and not worry about missing anything or getting stuck messing with the 02 sensors or something stupid, just install them, and by far they are the best looking and fitting kit I have seen, after seeing them on anothers truck, like factory almost.

AlmostSleezy 03-12-2013 08:29 PM

Hmmm so you likey eh. Was thinking about getting LT headers first but maybe not? How much did that cost you if you dont mind me asking?

hodgeee 03-12-2013 10:09 PM

I paid $1545 for the complete 3/4 piped catted ARH set from Moes Performance, absolutely best price I could find, shipping is free on this from them. But I also have a set of OBX 07 to 08 complete cated set, with the shop owner on Ebay quarantees these will fit. He said he had them on his 2009 Ram, and he just had to use a jig saw to cut a couple of inches off of the rear of the y-pipe assembly and he had to realign the cat back, since these go more to the center of the truck on the angle of the Y. these were $795 shipped, and they do look good, but not as nice or solid feeling as the ARH. Just trying to decide which one to send back, or resale!

I am going to put these side by side and do some picture comparisons later for you guys, and then I can measure out the difference between the measurements on these. Hell, I might be able to set up an OBX kit for the new trucks!!! Wouldn't that be cool?

CdnoilRAM 03-12-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hodgeee (Post 1037146)
I paid $1545 for the complete 3/4 piped catted ARH set from Moes Performance, absolutely best price I could find, shipping is free on this from them. But I also have a set of OBX 07 to 08 complete cated set, with the shop owner on Ebay quarantees these will fit. He said he had them on his 2009 Ram, and he just had to use a jig saw to cut a couple of inches off of the rear of the y-pipe assembly and he had to realign the cat back, since these go more to the center of the truck on the angle of the Y. these were $795 shipped, and they do look good, but not as nice or solid feeling as the ARH. Just trying to decide which one to send back, or resale!

I am going to put these side by side and do some picture comparisons later for you guys, and then I can measure out the difference between the measurements on these. Hell, I might be able to set up an OBX kit for the new trucks!!! Wouldn't that be cool?

The problem with using the pre-eagle (08 and earlier) headers on eagle (09+) heads is the exhaust ports are different shapes. The pre-eagle headers will need to be ported or you'll have a big ridge facing the exhaust flow, which can really slow the flow down and you can have worse performance than running the stock log header. Just an FYI. I used pre-eagle headers on eagle heads, they physically fit, but I had to take a ream to the interior to match the ports. It's not perfect, but it definitely does the trick.

hodgeee 03-12-2013 11:03 PM

well, hell, if that is the case, with the hand porting done on the ARH, I think I will just install them instead, and return the OBX pipes. I too want to get your stage 6 big valve heads, and they also now have a VVT cam that is good for about 40hp, and they state with the VVT cam and Heads, and a true 85mm opening throttle body, I should be able to get 100hp with tunning, maybe more. on the 6.1 hemi, with the non vvt cam and stage 6 heads alone they got 108hp at the tires. This and a 75 to 100hp shot, I will be ready to take on the track. Permitting also some 16 inch rims for the rear with some Drags on it!

Chris b 03-12-2013 11:29 PM

Just a heads up 16"rims want fit you'll need some 17" for the back.

CdnoilRAM 03-12-2013 11:35 PM

16" wheels CAN fit if you're willing to do the work to MAKE them fit. There's 2 bolts that need trimming, swap to a smaller caliper and rotor, but you lose braking power, which isn't THAT big of an issue since these trucks are front-biased braking anyway. There is a lot of custom work to make 16s fit, and unless you're burning through slicks every few weeks and want to save money by picking up 16s instead of 17s, it's not really worth the time and effort.

hodgeee 03-13-2013 12:31 AM

Ok, stay away from 16"s got it. 17s, plenty of 17" drag tires.