DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Cummins Diesel Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=198)
-   -   New 2012 2500 owner (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=135995)

Ce2700 03-12-2013 12:03 AM

New 2012 2500 owner

Hello ladies and gents (probably mostly gents)

Saturday I went a purchased my first brand new vehicle. Got the 2012 2500. I must say I am pretty impressed with the power but disturbed by my initial MPG usage. Pulling a closed trailer all day today I seemed to average about 12 MPG today. :( I realize its a new truck, break in time, not a long enough time watching the MPG yet blah blah blah. but to be honest my initial impressions are not good when it comes to paying at the pump.

I pull a trailer probably 3 times a week and I drive probably 4-500 miles a week so I was really hoping for better furl economy then this. Again I realize its only been a few days but lets face it Im not going to jump from 12 to 16 or 17 like I was hoping for. Then I start reading its all the emissions crap holding me back but I am not ready to void any warranty's on a brand new truck or am I :doh:

Then I start wondering about the longevity these trucks will have bone stock eating up all there own emissions cant be good for the long haul can it?

Who has the most miles on there stock 6.7 cummins? How is the longevity of there tranny and engine in bone stock form?

scrappy 03-12-2013 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ce2700 (Post 1036272)

Saturday I went a purchased my first brand new vehicle. Got the 2012 2500. I must say I am pretty impressed with the power but disturbed by my initial MPG usage. Pulling a closed trailer all day today I seemed to average about 12 MPG today. :( I realize its a new truck, break in time, not a long enough time watching the MPG yet blah blah blah. but to be honest my initial impressions are not good when it comes to paying at the pump.

I pull a trailer probably 3 times a week and I drive probably 4-500 miles a week so I was really hoping for better furl economy then this. Again I realize its only been a few days but lets face it Im not going to jump from 12 to 16 or 17 like I was hoping for. Then I start reading its all the emissions crap holding me back but I am not ready to void any warranty's on a brand new truck or am I :doh:

Then I start wondering about the longevity these trucks will have bone stock eating up all there own emissions cant be good for the long haul can it?

Who has the most miles on there stock 6.7 cummins? How is the longevity of there tranny and engine in bone stock form?

if you are getting 12 TOWING be HAPPY!
I was getting 12-13 EMPTY!

yeah, the mileage sucks in stock form! but I am already getting better with a few parts missing. I traded in a '07 6.7 for my '12 and I had all the parts off of it to put on the '12 if and when I got the "itch" or couldn't stand the mileage. (it was BOTH that drove me to do it!) going from a ~430hp truck to a 300hp truck just wasn't cool especially with WORSE mileage! IMHO, right now I am more interested in going more than 425 mi. on $130(A WEEK) so i am gambling that the warranty(or lack thereof) isn't an issue!
i already have a tonneau cover on it and my next step will probably be a free spin kit for the frontend and then water/meth injection.

HorseMan 03-22-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ce2700 (Post 1036272)

How heavy is your trailer? A buddy of mine just bought a 12 MY 2500 Cummins. He pulls a 28' camper, and like you, he is disappointed in initial mileage...about 12 mpg he said towing. I really think you need to be patient and give the truck about 15k miles, then reevaluate. What's your mileage empty?

Salt And Vinegar 06-09-2013 11:49 PM

Me and 2 buddys both have these trucks, theirs are 68RFE's and I have a G-56. one buddy had 3,000 when he deleted his, mines just past 30,000 and its getting deleted this thursday. I was averaging 17mpg stock and after the lift its 12mpg with 35" tires and lift. I'll let you know what figures I'm at after the deletes.

I also noticed that my manual is getting noticably better milage than the autos are. Right now with the lift and tires my manual is on par with my friends corked up stock tires ram.

BeaverNation 06-14-2013 01:09 PM

I just rolled over 900 miles last night. I am lucky that I work from home, so my trips out are usually to the store or quick errands. I have done 2 long trips though (long as in a 200 mile trip and 400 mile trip towing). So far I am averaging 20.9 on the highway, 18 for every day driving and 13.8 mpg while pulling my 26' trailer (6500 lbs) over Mt Hood and back to Portland..

I still have the stock tires and have done no lift.

HorseMan 06-16-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeaverNation (Post 1125078)
I just rolled over 900 miles last night. I am lucky that I work from home, so my trips out are usually to the store or quick errands. I have done 2 long trips though (long as in a 200 mile trip and 400 mile trip towing). So far I am averaging 20.9 on the highway, 18 for every day driving and 13.8 mpg while pulling my 26' trailer (6500 lbs) over Mt Hood and back to Portland..

I still have the stock tires and have done no lift.

Excellent mileage...in my opinion! How are you liking the truck's ride?

BeaverNation 06-17-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseMan (Post 1127349)
Excellent mileage...in my opinion! How are you liking the truck's ride?

You can definetly tell its a heavy duty truck. I used to own a 2007 Ram 1500 Hemi and a 2007 Yukon Denali and this 2013 2500 definetly drives like a truck. Other then the few bumps here and there on the road, the drive is actually pretty pleasant.

Now when my trailer is hooked up to it...I dont feel any bumps and the ride is as smooth as the 1500 and Denali... plus the power is uncomparable.

I just filled up last night. 464 miles and 24.6 gallons replaced. so around 18.8 and this was both city and highway on this tank.

All said and done, I miss the luxury of the Denali, but I love the Ram 2500 and haven't regreted the purchase yet. Only regret that I traded in the Denali instead of the wifes Honda Pilot... but it was paid off and no payments... so that is gonna help with my future mods!