DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Movies And Entertainment (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Who knows about hulu? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=135999)

snrusnak 03-12-2013 12:55 AM

Who knows about hulu?

Well the wife and I finally got sick of paying for cable so decided to cancel and couldn't be happier. They raised the rate ANOTHER $10 which seems to happen every 6 months to 12 months. We kept the internet service(also a rip off....but it's the ONLY option in our area) and bought a new 50" LG plasma smart tv with wifi(got a hell of a deal) and in 8 months will make back that money with what we save in cable. Also sold the old tv for $100. We decided to buy an $8 antenna and sign up for hulu plus for like $9/month and holy cap this is awesome. There's a ton of stuff to watch. It's kind of weird to turn he tv on and it looks like a computer desktop, but it's also really nice to choose what you want to watch when you want to watch it. And if you don't want to do that you just switch to air and watch FREE local tv(fox, cw, nbc, etc). The tv even picks up am and fm radio stations, you can browse the internet, has 3D, and all kinds of gadgets I haven't even begun to figure out lol. I wish I would have cancelled cable a long long time ago... Just felt like sharing...

seanbeckaroo 03-12-2013 02:30 PM

We cancelled our cable a few months ago, was like $180/m ! We kept our TWC Internet, $56, and use Netflix and Hulu Plus. Actually, the best thing I did was get a ROKU streamer, has NF, HULU already there. You use this little box with an HDMI cable and can stream 1080p quality programs, with no laptop. Plus this unit has an USB port you can plug a small hard drive into to watch movies you have downloaded.
http://www.amazon.com/Roku-4200R-3-S...dp_ob_title_ce

I'm with you, cable is gone, we can access all of the shows we need, and pay $15/ for netflix and Hulu!

snrusnak 03-12-2013 02:42 PM

^yep basically the same thing we did. Kept the internet at like $52 or so a month and cancelled the cable. We didn't need a roku because the tv has wifi built in, so we just connect straight from the tv. We ended up hard wiring the internet to the tv though, not that the wifi didn't work, but just for more peace of mind. I watched hulu plus for about 2 hours last night, found some shows I've never even watched that I really enjoyed. There are a few I was disappointed that they didn't have like seinfeld but I can watch that over the antenna.

Once we were looking at ruku's I realized that would be nearly $100, and we could sell our old tv for $100, and that was 1/3 the cost of the new tv. So we decided to get the new tv, and will take the cable savings to make up for the difference we spent on it. Really I think the thing I like best about the new tv is that it's hanging on the wall only sticking out 4", unlike our old piece of furniture of a tv which stuck out about 2', it was a projection type big screen. The room feels twice as big without it in there.

gonefishin776 03-12-2013 02:56 PM

i use Hulu. we don't have cable. just netflix and hulu. I am pretty much out of the loop on anything current events and most recent shows except the ones i choose to follow on hulu. I don't listen to the radio, only pandora. I like my little bubble i live in with no negativity from the media.

Moose612 03-12-2013 08:20 PM

My house is the same way. I pay 30 bucks for internet and then I went the super cheap route and use my moms netflix and a friends hulu accounts. Even if I had to pay for them I would though Its much better than paying the cable company 100+ dollars a month for the 8 channels I will actually ever watch

2011 ASSAULT 800 03-12-2013 09:44 PM

seems to be a trend, I got rid of my cable for th same reasons, every few months the price was going up, kept the internet (same reason only internet available in my end of town right now) and I now share the satelite with my parents (they live 1 hr away) and the bill with them also. I have netflix and watch it somewhat often, but in Canada netflix isnt that great, there is some good movies but most of the good ones you watch and then run out of things to watch, there was (maybe still is) away to get the American netflix through xbox 360 but I havent bothered to try.

CajunDodge 03-13-2013 01:11 PM

Hmmm, definitely well worth thinking about for me as well. Cable is getting ridiculous but there's just too many things I like to watch that are on cable. If only there were a way to create your own package with just the channels you like to watch and that's all you pay for!

- Cajun

2011 ASSAULT 800 03-13-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunDodge (Post 1037814)
Hmmm, definitely well worth thinking about for me as well. Cable is getting ridiculous but there's just too many things I like to watch that are on cable. If only there were a way to create your own package with just the channels you like to watch and that's all you pay for!

- Cajun

doing that would probably cost you more lol damn cable companies

GTyankee 03-13-2013 08:14 PM

I recently bought a new tv
it has all these things on it & have not tried any of them
It is a this one, i bought it at Costco
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN40ES6150FXZA

all this stuff sort of scares me, my telephone still has a rotary dial on it, just kidding, but it is 10 or more years old
my cell phone is equally as old

TheSatinPumpkin 03-31-2013 01:13 PM

Depending on who has the rights to stream on content me and my wife watches we typically switch between Hulu, Amazon Prime and Netflix. Hulu seems to be good in streaming current episodes but there are quite a few shows they don't have rights to stream yet but works fine for our needs. We have the Dish Starter Package though for local news and my wife likes to record The Pioneer Woman.

The source we use for the streaming content is the Roku Player. Quite a cool device.

Right now we use Hulu for viewing current episodes of Touch, Once Upon a Time, Revenge, Supernatural and The Biggest Loser.