DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Intake Fix (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=136110)

Green 01 03-13-2013 07:08 AM

Intake Fix

Hey guys, love the forum... I already know i need the Plenum and Intake gasket on my 01 Ram reading on here and seeing it has all of the symptoms... I was just wondering if The Dorman kit you can get from AutoZone is any count? It has everything need for the change and extras( cross over tube,stat and gasket,tube o-ring in water pump, tb gasket, plenum gasket, intake runner gaskets and upper and lower bolts), all for a little over $50 bucks... I'm skeptical because of how cheap it is. (You get what you pay for)... Just wondering if i should go with something else...? :4-dontknow: Thanks A Lot!

Will

crazzywolfie 03-13-2013 07:21 PM

do you plan on re-using the stock steel plenum pan? if so i don't think it would be a good idea to us the doorman kit. usually it is also a good idea to replace the o2 after you fix the plenum. ntk is suppose to be the OEM brand. if the parts are a bit too expensive locally you could try pricing them out on rockauto. if you can get everything shipped from 1 location things can be fairly cheap. i know when i fix the plenum gasket i plan on using fel pro gaskets and a aluminum plenum pan. rather only do the job once.

Green 01 03-14-2013 12:56 AM

Intake Fix

I heard that on doing the job once! So is it better to have the aluminium Pan than the steel one? If it is, does the Hues kit come with that and everything else? Also would like to know where I could get it and how much it costs... I've never change that particular intake gasket but I've done quite a few others on different vehicles so wrenching is not a problem for me... I love it!!! I appreciate your input and absolutely love this forum!!!:smiley_thumbs_up:

Will

crazzywolfie 03-14-2013 01:49 AM

some guys around here seem to say if you use a good quality gasket like fel pro you can re use the steel pan and it should last but i am not sure i quite trust it. i figure if the stock gasket fail the fel pro one will eventually fail even if it takes another 100,000 miles. the hughes kit comes with everything but you don't get to choose what brand the gasket are which some people like to do. there is a person on e-bay that sell just the aluminum plenum pan and bolts for $55 plus shipping which i think is about $15 so you are looking at about $70. after you buy gaskets i think you can save a bit of money over buying the hughes kit but some people like to go for the simple kit that has everything.

ebay pan
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-JEEP-A...099410&vxp=mtr

Green 01 03-14-2013 05:04 PM

Thanks for the info... I'm probably going to get the aluminium plenum and buy felpro gaskets cause it is the brand I trust most! Like you said I like to do the job once! I found a O2 sensor on eBay's website pretty cheap and it's the OEM brand so I'll not have too much $ wrapped up in the fix... I really appreciate the info and hope to get things right on this Ram! Still have a lot to do to it but I knew that when I bought it (high miles and all) and will eventually have it the way I want... the forum rules!!!

Will

crazzywolfie 03-14-2013 08:03 PM

could try pricing out the o2 sensor at rockauto. i know they are only $26-$30 there and you can most likely get all the gaskets you need ship from the same place which might save you some money.

Green 01 03-18-2013 10:07 PM

Thanks again CrazyWolfie! I'm going to give it a looksee and see what the prices are so I can get it fixed... have it parked and im going to need it soon! I'm also going to get a flush kit and flush the cooling system while I'm at it and an oil change... Mobile 1 Syn High Milage... and check both differentials and fliud change fot them (Lucas gear oil)...Thanks so much again!!!

Will:smileup: