DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ready to buy a Dodge Ram 1500...but have a few questions ? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=136130)

Fit121 03-13-2013 12:55 PM

Ready to buy a Dodge Ram 1500...but have a few questions ?

I have owned 4 wheel drive Chevys forever and have a great Dodge Durango.
Ready to pickup a Gen 3 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with towing capacity. I have been looking for a while and had a great one picked out and the dealer sold it before I put my name on the dotted line. Oh Well ! Back to square one.

Anyway got a call this morning on a 2006 RAM 1500 QUAD SLT 4.7L V8 Magnum RWD. Asking around $ 13,000. Great miles 53,000. Amazing looking truck however its a Rear Wheel Drive. So my first question is : What do you guys think of RWD truck? Pros and Cons ? Is it priced right etc.

Just looking for a little advice / help on this situation.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer !!

gonefishin776 03-13-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fit121 (Post 1037799)
I have owned 4 wheel drive Chevys forever and have a great Dodge Durango.
Ready to pickup a Gen 3 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with towing capacity. I have been looking for a while and had a great one picked out and the dealer sold it before I put my name on the dotted line. Oh Well ! Back to square one.

Anyway got a call this morning on a 2006 RAM 1500 QUAD SLT 4.7L V8 Magnum RWD. Asking around $ 13,000. Great miles 53,000. Amazing looking truck however its a Rear Wheel Drive. So my first question is : What do you guys think of RWD truck? Pros and Cons ? Is it priced right etc.

Just looking for a little advice / help on this situation.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer !!

what truck ISN'T RWD? do you mean it's only a 4x2? and not 4x4?

Assuming that is what you meant, or maybe I'm the dummy for not recognizing that RWD essentially means 4x2.

Pros
4x2 are less insurance wise I've found out
They weigh less, and tend to get better MPG.
Less maintenance (on 4x4 parts, because you don't have any)

Cons
You get stuck. Not so great in the snow unless you put a bunch of weight in the back. Less options to lift/level although still possible

And I think that is a fair price. The amount of miles on it is excellent for that year
Oh and Welcome to the Z! Be sure to introduce yourself over in the newbie section.

dodge man 03-13-2013 02:31 PM

I'm not a big fan of 2 wheel drive truck, but I live where it snows, and I live outside of town. If it stays on the pavement, I like two wheel drive trucks.

How heavy will you tow? If you are towing a fairly heavy load, I'd look for the 5.7 hemi.