DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   E-Cutout? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=136136)

Canadian Hemi Pride 03-13-2013 01:09 PM

E-Cutout?

So I installed the super 44 on my ram yesterday.. Loved it but thought it could be a bit louder...
So I decided to cut off the resonator and all piping about 4 inches after the muffler and have it dumping around the rear axle... I love the sound and how loud it is... Just think it may be a little to loud for when I try to pull in at night :LOL:

So I was wondering if it is possible to place a y-pipe after the muffler... re-attach the resonator pipe onto one side.. and have the e-cutout on the other.. so when I want it loud.. she will sound like a tank.. but can quiet it down when needed.

So what would be the most affordable, easy way to acquire and install a E-cutout.
Thanks for anyone that can help.

EDIT: Even a manual cut-out set up if I could do on mine own would be fine if someone knows how.

CdnoilRAM 03-13-2013 09:10 PM

I ran the QTP for 2 years with no issues, and DMH makes another good cutout. I have heard several people that are happy with the raceland cutout, but I have no experience with them.

Canadian Hemi Pride 03-13-2013 10:37 PM

I think for now I am just gonna weld the resonator pipe back on for now.. and save some mod money to add in an e-cutout down the road.

Love the sound, even the MDS droan.. but I could find it being annoying for my hour drive to work.

1500ram12 03-14-2013 05:47 AM

you could do that, but it will sound so much better having the e cutout before the muffler. driving through town and highway speeds it sounds like you're running open headers (essentially you are) but when you get on it, wow.

ORT 03-14-2013 06:17 AM

Put the cutout before the muffler. Then you can have the sound you are looking for on demand. Also, stick with an electric cutout, the manual cutouts are more trouble than they are worth.

chefred112 03-14-2013 03:12 PM

^^^I agree, the best and easiest place to locate a cutout is right after the Y pipe... this will give you sound options..I try to tell people that want it real loud to do this because sometimes you don't want it loud... my truck is pretty quiet but the sound is muscular but when i open my cutouts all the way, it sounds like nascar...

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/...h_IMG_2549.jpg

Canadian Hemi Pride 03-14-2013 08:54 PM

That sounded nicee.. Yeah I think I will do that in a while.. gonna save up some mod money for an e-cutout.. Welded the resonator pipe back on for now.. I will aim for right after the y-pipe when I do it up.

S.C. Express 03-15-2013 04:48 AM

It's not going to sound as good as Fred's sadly. His headers, gutted cats and his engine moves a lot more air and fuel. The latter being a big key to the "Nascar" sound and not the dump truck with a blown out exhaust sound. If it's going to be loud, it better have 400+h.p. to the wheels imo.. Just rambling, it's your truck bud. Have fun with it, and i am glad you came around to the fact that louder is not always better. Pissed off neighbors and cops hunting you down just for noise is no fun for anyone.

chefred112 03-15-2013 05:04 AM

you are correct..I only open mine maybe 1 percent of the time...get my loud fix and then close back up.... it's just nice knowin it's available...

Canadian Hemi Pride 03-15-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.C. Express (Post 1039550)
It's not going to sound as good as Fred's sadly. His headers, gutted cats and his engine moves a lot more air and fuel. The latter being a big key to the "Nascar" sound and not the dump truck with a blown out exhaust sound. If it's going to be loud, it better have 400+h.p. to the wheels imo.. Just rambling, it's your truck bud. Have fun with it, and i am glad you came around to the fact that louder is not always better. Pissed off neighbors and cops hunting you down just for noise is no fun for anyone.

Oh I know it won't sound as good.. but this won't be happening until I do have more mod money, and more toys under the hood.