DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Other Vehicle Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Challenger clutch issues (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=136343)

Excoastie 03-15-2013 04:33 PM

Challenger clutch issues

anyone know of a reason why a clutch would fail on a '10 Challenger with just shy of 23K miles on it, short of abuse?

My wife's Challenger crapped out on her the other day. Basically froze up the gear shift while shifting into 2nd, then the wouldn't move after that. She was able to finally get it into 1st, then limped it home before having it towed to the dealer.

There was no prior warning to any issues with the clutch prior to this incident.

I was thinking something to do with the linkage in the tranny, but the dealer after they did their diagnostic thing say it's the clutch, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing.

Something doesn't smell right here

Exco

brad12kx 03-23-2013 11:48 AM

Does the car stall when brought to a complete stop even with the clutch repressed?

Can you shift into any/all gears with the engine shut off?

Excoastie 03-23-2013 01:44 PM

No to both questions. That is the reason why I am not convinced that it's the clutch.

It's acting more like a linkage or transmission issue than it is a clutch issue, at least to a terrible back yard mechanic who's not ASE certified and relies mostly on experience behind the wheel.

I'm washing my hands of the entire mess. I'm buying a Charger instead.

Exco

brad12kx 03-28-2013 09:24 AM

Yah....I'm completely with you. There is a different issue.

Here; I'll lend you my flag to take to them.

:bsflag:

Excoastie 03-31-2013 08:55 AM

Thanks for the flag Brad, it's a good thing that it's the thought that counts LOL

She's got the car back.. She's driving it like it's gonna bite her any minute. I know the way she is, and she's always going to be wondering if it'll happen again...

I hope they can find the Charger soon. It's tough to find a limited production car that just started rolling off the line a few weeks ago. Anyone who has 'em, either already sold 'em, or doesn't want to let 'em go. Time will tell.

Exco

brad12kx 04-02-2013 11:50 PM

Tell her to drive it like she stole it! If the pressure plate fails on it's own in that short of time, there is nothing she can do as a driver to speed up the process so might as well have a great time preparing the tires for replacement. :D

The first all out burn out should be in the dealers lot.

Yah.....I'm THAT guy. ;)

Excoastie 04-14-2013 08:20 AM

I still haven't heard from the service department and/ or the tech that worked on the car. I have yet to have anyone tell me exactly what caused the pressure plate to fail. I had a friend tell me that with the number of miles involved, the lack of overheating, etc... it sounds to him like a metallurgy type of thing (this coming from someone who's been drag racing for 25+ yrs).

On a good note, even though I can't get Chrysler Customer Care to answer my phone calls or call me back, I did receive a check in the mail the other day from Chrysler for $700.

I'm going with $700 is better than $0, and I'm not going to complain too much about the amount of money they sent, as they didn't really HAVE to send anything, so I'm appreciative in that regard. I am still not real happy with the service department, and my "satisfaction survey" reflected that.

Exco

Arth 04-14-2013 08:25 AM

Planning on keeping the challenger or are you still in the process of hunting down one of those limited production chargers?

Glad to hear you got some sort of response from Chrysler at least. I know dealerships aren't always the first to step up to the plate to help someone out. There are some but they are few and far between.

Excoastie 04-16-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arth (Post 1069257)
Planning on keeping the challenger or are you still in the process of hunting down one of those limited production chargers?

We have ordered a limited production Charger in Daytona Blue...

I'm not sure when the expected delievery is, but I'd be surprised if we had it before mid June... I'll keep the updates coming.

The wife is just afraid to drive the Challenger, she keeps waiting for it to break again....

Exco

dodge man 04-16-2013 08:58 AM

Switch over to the Challenger Z forum. The second gear problem is common. It has nothing to do with the clutch or pressure plate, but it seems like maybe some kind of grease problem on the throw out bearing, or something like that. They have also been known to have internal problems that require a new tranny or repairs.