DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Which torque Converter? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=136350)

MeanMango2010 03-15-2013 07:21 PM

Which torque Converter?

I am in the market for an aftermarket torque converter and not 100% sure which one to choose. I see a lot of guys running the Edge Street edge in with their trucks. I also hear a lot of good things about the ATS TripleLok.
The ATS is double the price of the Edge which is why I am kinda gun shy about buying it.

My cheap side says just go with the Edge. But the do it right side says the ATS has to be much better for twice the price!

Also, not sure what stall to run. ATS suggests 2300 and Edge suggested 2800. I told them both the same thing. Daily driven with a supercharger. Also I go to the track and about 100 miles of towing a 4,000lb vehicle every month.

HemiSport07 03-15-2013 08:24 PM

I've been doing alot of research on them I would go with an edge there ran in some of the fastest hemi trucks there are. l am going with an 11" 2800 stall on my truck

HemiLonestar 03-15-2013 09:02 PM

Circle D 2800, complements the 4.56's pretty well and will work well with the cam that is going in.

dusterman 03-15-2013 10:06 PM

Edge 2800 here.. I love this stall. Really helped the truck get off the line really well. I also have 3.92 with lsd. Just check my thread on the 1st page of performance mods page. I have vids. Of full throttle with traction control on and off. And a normal driving vid.

ORT 03-16-2013 07:46 AM

Go with the edge. Hear a lot of great things about them. I ran a circle d and didn't really like it. Was great for blowing the tires off from a stop but also had some driveability issues with it too that I didn't like in a daily driver.

S.C. Express 03-17-2013 12:21 AM

Being supercharged and the fact you tow, go with ATS rec. on a 2300 stall. I think 2800-3000 stall would melt your tires with the blower and possibly harm your tranny while towing. Lot of extra stress you got going there.

hodgeee 03-17-2013 06:21 AM

You have to consider, if you had a stock truck with a stick shift, you would rev it to about 3000rpms, dump the clutch and floor it for a good launch. You have a supercharger, but it is a centrifugal unit, so torque doesn't kick in as hard at low rpms, like with a roots, that make it act like a big block, but the biggest factor is you tow. If you go to high on the stall speed, it will hunt for gears and burn out the clutch in the converter. Yeah haul ass, but not good for overall, you are looking for the comprimise! You still make more power than others at midrange with the Ripp, so the 2300stall speed is pretty accurate.

I would not use Circle D,nothing against them, but they basicly rebuild stock cores with a billet front, much better than stock in certain respects, but still can't handle power that others with complete new fabrication can. The Edge Street level converter is billet front all new components, and is designed to handle 600hp applications, which a lot of guys have run even more hp through. $500, as in example the $500 Circle D is rated at 450hp at the same cost. I also like Edge cause I have seen their welding techniques and thier interior components, and they use all steel, to where so many other companies use plastic components still, even in their custom units.

catsltd 03-18-2013 09:20 AM

I would get a Circle-D 258MM 2600 triple disc.
Its the best converter on the market period.

I have 60,000 miles on mine now and I tow a tandem dump trailer 5 days a week with lots of 17,000 GVW loads.
Andre at Edge makes a great street converter,but Chris at Cirle-D has the best towing converter in my opinion.
I have run a 2600 Billet Edge on my 2003,and a 2600 Cirle-D in my 2010.

S.C. Express 03-18-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hodgeee (Post 1041187)
You have to consider, if you had a stock truck with a stick shift, you would rev it to about 3000rpms, dump the clutch and floor it for a good launch. You have a supercharger, but it is a centrifugal unit, so torque doesn't kick in as hard at low rpms, like with a roots, that make it act like a big block, but the biggest factor is you tow. If you go to high on the stall speed, it will hunt for gears and burn out the clutch in the converter. Yeah haul ass, but not good for overall, you are looking for the comprimise! You still make more power than others at midrange with the Ripp, so the 2300stall speed is pretty accurate.

I would not use Circle D,nothing against them, but they basicly rebuild stock cores with a billet front, much better than stock in certain respects, but still can't handle power that others with complete new fabrication can. The Edge Street level converter is billet front all new components, and is designed to handle 600hp applications, which a lot of guys have run even more hp through. $500, as in example the $500 Circle D is rated at 450hp at the same cost. I also like Edge cause I have seen their welding techniques and thier interior components, and they use all steel, to where so many other companies use plastic components still, even in their custom units.

Even being a centrifugal s/c, he still has a lot more power off idle compared to even a heavily modded N/A hemi. But I totally agree with you.:smileup:

MeanMango2010 03-18-2013 07:27 PM

I talked to Andre at EDGE again today and we went over all the topics discussed. He assured me that the 2800 is where I want to be and that 2300 is stock and no difference will be felt. So I went with his advice and ordered the 2800 stall Street Edge.

I also told him headers are in the near future. So with the $600 I saved by not going with the ATS, I'm going to buy some JBA shorties and get rid of my cats.