DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   45-50mph shudder going WOT (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=136538)

TORMENTOR 03-17-2013 05:28 PM

45-50mph shudder going WOT

So I've bounced around the forums, trying to find a proper fix for this issue but nothing solid yet.

Basically, my trucks had an issue when going WOT while cruising around 40-50 mph. Usually it only existed when the truck Wasnt fully warmed up but did pop up intermittently at times.

2 weeks ago, I took it to the dealer for the issue because I had ordered my Hemi fever tune and wanted to make sure this Wasnt something physically wrong in the tranny before installing it.

The dealer calls me back and says its fixed, that Chrysler released a PCM update to address this issue. So I pick it up and Tada! It's fixed, no more shutters and hunting for a gear and the torque converter deciding if it wants to unlock or not.

The issue after that though?, the truck seemed to have lost a lot of its "balls" it shifted so spongy, when holding it in 1st and punching it, you could feel it slip a bit before engaging, like they turned up the TM even more. Overall, it just Wasnt nearly as firm anymore. It felt like I was driving a prius.

So fast forward to this last week where I finally install the Hemi fever tune. WOW, trucks woken right up, more power from every rpm range, pulls like a freight train, BUT!! Guess what issue came back? And more prominent and aggressive then before.

And worse, it's consistent now, anytime I'm cruising around 50 mph, it shudders pretty bad for a few seconda and then the rpms shoot up and it goes.

What and the HELL is this trucks issue with this? I've seen this issue come up a lot for other owners, right now, Sean and I are trying to figure out how to work around this without having to put it back to stock shift points etc...

Btw here is a short video I got yesterday of what it does:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ua-alPta6xI

Phildo 03-17-2013 09:02 PM

Probably a torque converter issue. Could be slipping under wot gear changes

TORMENTOR 03-17-2013 09:13 PM

But why would the dealers PCM flash fix it? By turning up the TM?

ericlee9386 03-18-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TORMENTOR (Post 1041614)
So I've bounced around the forums, trying to find a proper fix for this issue but nothing solid yet.

Basically, my trucks had an issue when going WOT while cruising around 40-50 mph. Usually it only existed when the truck Wasnt fully warmed up but did pop up intermittently at times.

2 weeks ago, I took it to the dealer for the issue because I had ordered my Hemi fever tune and wanted to make sure this Wasnt something physically wrong in the tranny before installing it.

The dealer calls me back and says its fixed, that Chrysler released a PCM update to address this issue. So I pick it up and Tada! It's fixed, no more shutters and hunting for a gear and the torque converter deciding if it wants to unlock or not.

The issue after that though?, the truck seemed to have lost a lot of its "balls" it shifted so spongy, when holding it in 1st and punching it, you could feel it slip a bit before engaging, like they turned up the TM even more. Overall, it just Wasnt nearly as firm anymore. It felt like I was driving a prius.

So fast forward to this last week where I finally install the Hemi fever tune. WOW, trucks woken right up, more power from every rpm range, pulls like a freight train, BUT!! Guess what issue came back? And more prominent and aggressive then before.

And worse, it's consistent now, anytime I'm cruising around 50 mph, it shudders pretty bad for a few seconda and then the rpms shoot up and it goes.

What and the HELL is this trucks issue with this? I've seen this issue come up a lot for other owners, right now, Sean and I are trying to figure out how to work around this without having to put it back to stock shift points etc...

Btw here is a short video I got yesterday of what it does:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ua-alPta6xI

I have this same issue. I added a 2800 stall and had Sean hold the gears longer and account for the stall in the tune and it cleaned up the shudder mostly. It still does it from time to time but I have been living with it until it gets figured out. I personally think its the trans skipping 3rd gear and not having the rpm or speed high enough. That's just my guess. Good luck

catsltd 03-18-2013 09:10 AM

I would try it in tow haul mod.
I bet its fine.
The stock converter is junk,if your running one get rid of it.

TORMENTOR 03-18-2013 02:03 PM

I will try the tow/haul mode

Thanks

S.C. Express 03-19-2013 10:10 AM

Sometimes I swear mine will skip 2P and go from 2nd to 4th at those speeds. Italmost bogs because of the massive ratio change. Does it do it if you shift it manually?

ericlee9386 03-19-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.C. Express (Post 1043271)
Sometimes I swear mine will skip 2P and go from 2nd to 4th at those speeds. Italmost bogs because of the massive ratio change. Does it do it if you shift it manually?

Mine won't do it if I shift it manually but I don't like doing that all the time. I wish the skip could be tuned out if the programing

TORMENTOR 03-19-2013 11:16 PM

I emailed Sean about it to see if there is anything that he can for it

TORMENTOR 03-19-2013 11:17 PM

Regardless of this issue that i know is no fault of Sean's since it existed well before the tune. His custom tune is amazing, im shocked at the difference in performance, even between the diablo one and his