DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   New hemi mods (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=136591)

TxRanger3006 03-18-2013 07:31 AM

New hemi mods

Hey y'all just curious bout what free or cheap mods are out there for increasing the performance and efficiency of my new to me hemi. I know for most of my other trucks there was a lot of "custom" mods for the DIY guy. Thanks for any input.

TheSatinPumpkin 03-18-2013 12:04 PM

Weight reduction is free

gonefishin776 03-18-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSatinPumpkin (Post 1042346)
Weight reduction is free

that's probably all that is free. and a light foot on the skinny pedal.

A lot of people get "cold air intakes" which really just give you sound and look cool under the hood. But coupled with a tuner and free flowing exhaust you could see/feel some gains in power and mpg. Nothing CRAZY though.

people also get ported throttle bodies, headers. i mean anything you can do to your old truck you can do to this trucks. it's all the same concept

ShawnC13 03-18-2013 12:40 PM

Some have done a DIY modified Cold air intake. They have cut a corner out of the air box and then run like a dryer hose from there down to behind the bumper or something and pick up some fresh air. I can't remember who on here did it but you could try and do a search for it.

Ramguy65 03-18-2013 01:49 PM

I just installed a CAI and Superchips 91 perf tune. I already had a 14" Magnaflow. I have seen a little better gas mileage. On a recent trip I average 13.5L/100km. Before the mods I would average 14.6 to 14.8 on the same trip. As long as you can stay off the gas pedal then you will see some improvement in mileage. I know it's not free or low cost but just wanted to give you an example of the fuel savings with these mods. I paid around $650 for the intake and Superchips.

TxRanger3006 03-18-2013 05:16 PM

Thanks for the help I planned on doin an exhaust, intake and tuner. Is there a better set up for these I've usually done flowmasters with a k&n intake but I haven't really seen anyone on here with those. Also any tips on a chip. I know the hemi isn't known for mpg but I'd like to maybe get a mile or 2 more if that's possible lol.

Ramguy65 03-18-2013 11:46 PM

I have the S&B intake and the Superchips Flashpaq. S&B and Vararam seem to be the top 2 that everyone talks about. I heard the Vararam is not the greatest if you do a lot of off roading. Because it is "ram air" there has been some people saying that water was getting into the intake. I don't think it really matters which tuner you go with as they mostly all do the same thing. Just depends on what you are willing to do. With the combination I have I did notice some MPG gains. That was driving "normally". Since I did these mods though I have been having a hard time staying off the gas pedal! :D Also...I am a Magnaflow fan so I am a little biased when it comes to exhaust systems. :) But I do know that if you get a CAI then you should do the muffler at the same time. More air in means it needs to go out as well. Magnaflows are straight through and through mufflers. I don't believe Flowmasters are. I could be wrong.

chefred112 03-19-2013 12:20 AM

180 tstat....magnaflow muffler...flowmasters dont perform as well...

TxRanger3006 03-19-2013 02:42 AM

Sounds good il look at the magnaflows now, also what does that 180tstat mod do I've heard a few people talk bout it but still don't really understand it.

AcadianRam 03-19-2013 08:04 AM

The 180 tstat keeps your engine a little cooler than the one you have now. Cooler engine means a bit more hp, it's the same kinda as cool air is better than warm air for hp