DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   fifth wheel towing question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=136817)

gcunning1968 03-20-2013 08:42 AM

fifth wheel towing question

I have a 2012 Dodge Ram crew cab 3.55 gears hear me have a 2012 Dodge Ram crew cab 3.55 gears with the hemi. I will be telling a 8000 pounds fifth wheel travel trailer I have installed timbren ses system. What are your thoughts as to how the truck will handle it? When I made the deal on the truck I was told it had the 3.92 gears. Bought the fifth wheel based on that info and just found out last night I have the 3.55. Fifth wheel pick up is Thursday!!

Otterdriver 03-20-2013 08:40 PM

Prior to my new truck I had a 2010 SLT with 3:92's, I have a 5500 lbs TT and it towed that quite comfortably, with 3:55's you will be slower accelerating. That may not be your only issue though, what is the pin weight of your fifth wheel? Your may have already exceeded your payload of your truck without even putting people in it. I had the timbrens for my setup and they worked well.

HorseMan 03-20-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcunning1968 (Post 1044195)
I have a 2012 Dodge Ram crew cab 3.55 gears hear me have a 2012 Dodge Ram crew cab 3.55 gears with the hemi. I will be telling a 8000 pounds fifth wheel travel trailer I have installed timbren ses system. What are your thoughts as to how the truck will handle it? When I made the deal on the truck I was told it had the 3.92 gears. Bought the fifth wheel based on that info and just found out last night I have the 3.55. Fifth wheel pick up is Thursday!!

There is a lot of information out there on various RV sites, and while I'm no professional, I would never tow a 5th wheel with a 1500. The pin weight alone would likely overload you. Depending on pin weight, how heavy the camper is, and length will likely illicit more responses here, but I would certainly hesitate before hooking up. Just my opinion.

seanbeckaroo 03-21-2013 08:33 AM

8000 lb 5th wheel with a 1500? Nope. I wouldn't go more than 6000 lb with a 5th wheel. If you are stuck with this set-up however, I recommend you increase your spring capacity, SD sells a 50% spring rate increase over stock, which will make your life towing that MUCH easier, and safer.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....125&x=116&y=18

Otterdriver 03-21-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanbeckaroo (Post 1045234)
8000 lb 5th wheel with a 1500? Nope. I wouldn't go more than 6000 lb with a 5th wheel. If you are stuck with this set-up however, I recommend you increase your spring capacity, SD sells a 50% spring rate increase over stock, which will make your life towing that MUCH easier, and safer.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....125&x=116&y=18

I don't think that beefing up your coils is the answer. If you factor 20% of 8000 lbs, which is 1600 lbs, that is more than likely close to the pin weight, that is almost certainly more than the payload capacity of the truck and that is without any passengers in the truck. Then there is the issue of axle strain, brake performance and suspension capability. My 2013 Big Horn payload is 1290 lbs, not sure about the 2012's.

Hermes1 03-21-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otterdriver (Post 1045308)
I don't think that beefing up your coils is the answer. If you factor 20% of 8000 lbs, which is 1600 lbs, that is more than likely close to the pin weight, that is almost certainly more than the payload capacity of the truck and that is without any passengers in the truck. Then there is the issue of axle strain, brake performance and suspension capability. My 2013 Big Horn payload is 1290 lbs, not sure about the 2012's.

All good points and reason enough to not do it. Towing that much 5th wheel, will stress you and your truck to no end and could prove to be dangerous for you, your passengers and others on the road.

seanbeckaroo 03-21-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otterdriver (Post 1045308)

I agree, I wouldn't pull a 8000 lb 5th wheel, or any 5th wheel at all for that matter with a 1500. To much strain on the entire system, regardless of the weight of the trailer. I just mentioned the springs because they will help his load weight if he is stuck with that combo :smileup:

Boubou 03-21-2013 01:49 PM

I can only speak from our experience towing a 6800 lbs loaded ready to go 5th wheel.
We also added Timbrens, have the same 3:55 ratio and 20" tires.
We have no problem going up or down hills, truck has plenty of power.
We added an integrated brake controller and changed the tires to E rated tires
I've seen plenty of 5th wheels being towed by (especially) 1500 Ram (more so than any other competitors, although, Ford is showing up more and more).
Same here, we were told truck could do it, numbers are wrong but we had both units so might as well make the best of it. If the truck breaks down from it, then we'll trade up but the truck is a daily driver 99% of the time.

gcunning1968 03-21-2013 09:23 PM

Thanks for all the input. I am stuck with the combo and I have heard from several folks and read a lot of info regarding this set-up and I am going to have to give it a try. I am in no hurry so will take my time if I feel that this combo just will not work I will look into upgrading the truck. 95% of my camping will be within 50 miles of the house.

HorseMan 03-21-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boubou (Post 1045531)
I can only speak from our experience towing a 6800 lbs loaded ready to go 5th wheel.
We also added Timbrens, have the same 3:55 ratio and 20" tires.
We have no problem going up or down hills, truck has plenty of power.
We added an integrated brake controller and changed the tires to E rated tires
I've seen plenty of 5th wheels being towed by (especially) 1500 Ram (more so than any other competitors, although, Ford is showing up more and more).
Same here, we were told truck could do it, numbers are wrong but we had both units so might as well make the best of it. If the truck breaks down from it, then we'll trade up but the truck is a daily driver 99% of the time.

When empty, how does your truck handle with E rated tires? How's the ride...a bit stiffer?