DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Tire Advice (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=137112)

MichaelNC 03-23-2013 10:17 AM

Tire Advice

Just bought a used 2011 Ram 1500 2WD Regular Cab and I love it! It only has 22,000 miles. My question is about tires. It has Goodyear Wrangler HP P275/60R20's on it. They are also nitrogen filled. All four tires have started cupping on the outside treads. What would cause this and is this the best tire for this truck? I drive around town, back and forth to work and pull a 21' Bass boat 3-4 times a month. No off roading or hauling. Any advice or suggestions?

RamTech 03-23-2013 12:07 PM

I personally like Cooper Cobra tires for what you're doing with your truck. They ride and handle well, maintain a good wear pattern with reasonable care and proper alignment, and they look good too. The current tires you have a generally regarded as garbage. The wear you're seeing is normal for tires that aren't rotated regularly, and most importantly, in the correct pattern.

MichaelNC 03-23-2013 12:45 PM

Thanks for the reply....but...Do they come in 20" ? As I stated in my original post I have 20" wheels I researched them and 20" are not an option. Also this is a passenger tire. Does that really work on a truck?

RamTech 03-23-2013 01:15 PM

My apologies for that - I got my tire models mixed up. The Discoverer line, specifically the H/T is the one I was thinking of. Two of my Ram owning coworkers have canned the Goodyears in favor of these and have nothing but praise for them. I've driven several trucks with them and have to say I prefer the ride of these tires over the Wranglers.

garnetchicken 03-23-2013 03:50 PM

I am replacing my Goodyears in the next week or so.I work at Michelin and I am going with either the BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A(Great looking tire), Michelin LTX M/S or LTX AT2, or BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Tour(Leaning more toward this one).Filling them with Nitrogen doesn't do anything for you, besides take your money.

RamTech 03-23-2013 05:48 PM

I normally like BFG tires, but didn't care for the Long Trail's. They didn't deliver much in the way of wet traction, be it in water or snow.

emmyshemi 03-24-2013 12:26 AM

I am also sick of the Goodyear hp garage. They are down right dangerous in the rain and snow. I think I'm going to go with Firestone Destination LE2. The have outstanding reviews on tirerack, and they have a real nice price. I think a set of 4 installed can be had for under $775.

starquestbd22 03-25-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTech (Post 1047486)
I personally like Cooper Cobra tires for what you're doing with your truck. They ride and handle well, maintain a good wear pattern with reasonable care and proper alignment, and they look good too. The current tires you have a generally regarded as garbage. The wear you're seeing is normal for tires that aren't rotated regularly, and most importantly, in the correct pattern.

Not to thread jack but I'm sure this will help the OP too. What rotation pattern do you recommend? Found this on Tire Rack. What are your thoughts?

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...tation_abc.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelNC (Post 1047515)
Thanks for the reply....but...Do they come in 20" ? As I stated in my original post I have 20" wheels I researched them and 20" are not an option. Also this is a passenger tire. Does that really work on a truck?

I agree that the Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus is a great tire for what it sounds like you do. I have done a ton of research and I am actually thinking very seriously about ordering a set for my 4x4 QC. As for your question about passenger tires....yes, the Coopers are "P" tires rather than "LT" tires. But so are the stock Goodyears. Actually, these particular Coopers, along with most if not all Cooper tires in this size, are XL (extra load) rated rather than SL (standard load) like the stock Goodyears. The alternative is "LT" tires. Nothing against them by any means other than they might ride a tad stiffer but the truth is that the majority of pickup trucks don't need them and don't run them. So yeah, no need to worry.

RamTech 03-25-2013 08:51 AM

I prefer A as my first choice, because it reverses the direction of rotation on the front tires and those are the ones that usually show the uneven wear. B is my second choice, unless a lot of unusual wear has already set in, especially where mud tires are concerned.

starquestbd22 03-25-2013 09:12 AM

A is what I had in mind. Thanks!