DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   best setup for my tuner (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=137191)

dusterman 03-24-2013 09:15 AM

best setup for my tuner

Right now im sitting at work. And trying to figure out. What would be my best results with adding a canned tune to my truck. I added the 87 oct tune. I def noticed a huge difference the way the truck pulled up top I really couldnt launch the truck cause it was raining so have to wait till monday to get nice cool air and dry pavement. . But since im about to run out of fuel. Im trying to decide what to use next. 91 or 93. I heard there are alot of people having knock issues with the 93 tune. So is it better to run 93 oct and use the 91 perf tune. And what the best results with the extra stuff you can do like rev limiter, shift points and such. Any good advice. Thanks ahead of time

06 BigHorn 03-24-2013 10:41 AM

As someone you has always used the canned tunes in both my 06 & up to now my 12. I have to say buy a custom!!! Just downloaded my Hemifever this morning & man its worlds different. Its worth the extra $ for the custom tune!

I did a log with a 0-90mph run & NO knock with his tune

dusterman 03-24-2013 11:58 AM

Need more money first. Just need sometging to pass the time till then

06 BigHorn 03-24-2013 12:02 PM

The stock 91 tune was ok until I added the k&n cai, then I had issues

dusterman 03-24-2013 12:13 PM

With knock? Or other issues. Cause I have k&n and muffler delete and ported thottle body

06 BigHorn 03-24-2013 04:32 PM

the canned 91 seemed to bog down @ higher rpms once the cai was added. Made all kinds of noise but didn't really go faster

dusterman 03-24-2013 05:58 PM

What about the 93 tune

RAM EM 03-24-2013 09:02 PM

Are you monitoring your KRs? Do you have any? I wouldn't install the 93 tune until you run at least a tank (or two) of 93. Honestly, looking at the mods in your sig, I wouldn't run the 93 at all without a custom tune. If you do, keep a close eye on your KRs! I was getting crazy detonation with no other mods on the 93 tune, until I got a custom tune.

dusterman 03-24-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAM EM (Post 1048799)
Are you monitoring your KRs? Do you have any? I wouldn't install the 93 tune until you run at least a tank (or two) of 93. Honestly, looking at the mods in your sig, I wouldn't run the 93 at all without a custom tune. If you do, keep a close eye on your KRs! I was getting crazy detonation with no other mods on the 93 tune, until I got a custom tune.

I ran like 10 passes with 93 octane fuel and on 91 performance tune. Times were worse than my stock tune. Only getting knock at around 70 full throttle only a 1 on knock retard nothing higher yet. But my best run wad 5.85 tuned ane 5.76 not tuned. I believe there 1 to 2 shift hangs abit. Causing slower times.

RAM EM 03-24-2013 11:48 PM

Variables can affect your times within a few tenths, I wouldn't sweat it. The tuner only gives you a few extra ponies at the wheel. I would consider it a tool to build with at this stage. A hemifever tune will cure the shift blues, and with the LTs should really wake it up. I would leave it be until you get the tune. If possible, I would get LTs before the tune, so that Sean can see what it will do to the tune.