DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   96 Dodge Suspension Lift (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=137456)

RamLove 03-26-2013 01:37 PM

96 Dodge Suspension Lift

Hey everyone, new to this site.

Got a couple questions about my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500. I am looking to lift it either 3 or 5 inches and need some advice. I know that 5" is going to cost more and be a bigger hassle to install, but I like the look of it more than 3". I guess my real question is should I have the long arm assembly, or is it unnecessary?

Also, any hints on finding strong, good-priced lifts would be fantastic.

Thanks!

gonefishin776 03-26-2013 02:06 PM

I'm gonna forewarn you that there aren't many lifted guys with trucks as old as yours on here. A majority are 4th generation rams, next 3rd. I rarely see 2nd gen rams lifted.

That being said, someone posted a thread JUST like yours, and got no responses (it could have been in the wrong section, not sure)..not because we don't want to help...but just because there is little experience among the members here with regards to your particular truck.

I'm not saying NO ONE on here has a lifted 2nd gen. Maybe someone will see and help! Just warning you in case you don't get many responses. I wish I knew, I would help.

If it's anything like lifting the 3rd gens, i have an example for you:

4" lift by rough country: $950
6" lift by rough country: $999. <--- $50 difference, same concept of install.

I'm assuming you could body lift for 3", and some shops say that's even MORE of a pain than a suspension lift.

so, I say google is your best friend. Read reviews. Good luck! And can't wait to see this thing once you lift.

RamLove 03-26-2013 02:21 PM

I'm pretty excited to lift it. And I know what you mean, I hardly see trucks as old as mine with any sort of aftermarket stuff done to it. Not bad to be unique though.

Anyway, thanks for the idea of price and such. I just don't want to buy something that looks good and ends up being trashy as all get out. I saw Tuff Country has some cheaper lifts, but I assumed that cheap is exactly what you get when you purchase those.

RamLove 03-26-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin776 (Post 1050509)

I'm assuming you could body lift for 3", and some shops say that's even MORE of a pain than a suspension lift.

I figured I would touch on this as well. I can't do a body lift because I have a turnover ball that I use for hauling horse trailers and the fifth wheel camper. If I use a body lift, the ball would actually sit down under the floor of the bed. Which now that I think of it, I might want to go with just a 3" lift to preserve my hitching capabilities with my trailers. hmmmm

gonefishin776 03-26-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96Dodge1500 (Post 1050530)
I'm pretty excited to lift it. And I know what you mean, I hardly see trucks as old as mine with any sort of aftermarket stuff done to it. Not bad to be unique though.

Anyway, thanks for the idea of price and such. I just don't want to buy something that looks good and ends up being trashy as all get out. I saw Tuff Country has some cheaper lifts, but I assumed that cheap is exactly what you get when you purchase those.

well this is the outlook I would take:

is this lift for looks?
for light offroading, splashing through some puddles, small mud holes?
or for extreme wheeling, climbing hills, rocks, where you need a lot of flex?

THAT would be how I determine the quality of lift I get. Do you catch my drift?

I was nervous about going RCX 6" for my upcoming lift, because it's significantly cheaper than other brands. But A LOT of guys run it, and I've read people say they are just as good quality, but they knock the price down because they are confident they'll sell a lot. Also, I just play around in some light mud, not crazy rock crawling where i need flex. So i don't need a $2500 lift with all upgraded components.

RamLove 03-26-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin776 (Post 1050536)
I was nervous about going RCX 6" for my upcoming lift, because it's significantly cheaper than other brands. But A LOT of guys run it, and I've read people say they are just as good quality, but they knock the price down because they are confident they'll sell a lot. Also, I just play around in some light mud, not crazy rock crawling where i need flex. So i don't need a $2500 lift with all upgraded components.

I'm basically in the same boat on that one. I don't need to be scaling cliffs, but I do hit the mountains from time to time. Would a Rough Country 5" be too much of a hassle to install? Or do you have any idea?

gonefishin776 03-26-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96Dodge1500 (Post 1050539)
I'm basically in the same boat on that one. I don't need to be scaling cliffs, but I do hit the mountains from time to time. Would a Rough Country 5" be too much of a hassle to install? Or do you have any idea?

are you 2wd or 4wd?

gonefishin776 03-26-2013 02:31 PM

4wd 1994-2001 RCX 5" lift install guide
http://www.roughcountry.com/install/371S.pdf

no lift kit by RCX for 2wd

RamLove 03-26-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin776 (Post 1050545)
4wd 1994-2001 RCX 5" lift install guide
http://www.roughcountry.com/install/371S.pdf

no lift kit by RCX for 2wd

It doesn't look like it would be too big of a hassle to install. I have a buddy with a car lift and some bridge jacks he uses to work on cummins work vehicles. Should make the job pretty easy compared to using a floor jack and such. I'll just have to figure a way to lift the frame and let the suspension hang fully.

gonefishin776 03-26-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96Dodge1500 (Post 1050551)
It doesn't look like it would be too big of a hassle to install. I have a buddy with a car lift and some bridge jacks he uses to work on cummins work vehicles. Should make the job pretty easy compared to using a floor jack and such. I'll just have to figure a way to lift the frame and let the suspension hang fully.

yeah doesn't seem too hard. And it's not a bad price either.

I'm contemplated doing my install myself too. I feel like a few days with a buddy and some beer I could do it and feel confident. but, I got referred to a shop who can do it for $540, and that way hopefully they warranty the work to an extent.