DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   360 Rebuild: Startup Timimng Issue (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=137577)

HeartbreakDodge 03-27-2013 06:06 PM

360 Rebuild: Startup Timimng Issue

Hey fellas,

I've got a 1986 D250 that was my grandpa's and has been in the family since it was new. After years of use on the farm and down the road, it leaked from every orifice possible, so we recently rebuilt it. The build went great and with minimal problems until the end; we are having a terrible time trying to set the timing and advance. When we had it ready to go, we had all the plug wires lined up and set the engine advanced about 6 degrees. We could get it to run if I constantly pumped gas into it, but it wouldnt sustain as soon as I let off. We tried the standard approach of turning the distributor and such but have had no luck. Right now, when we try to fire it up, it tries to go, but back fires a little through the carburetor. I don't believe that I am a full 180 out and have traced my wires more times than I can count. This is my first time trying to set the startup timing on a Dodge, what am I over looking?? At this point I plan on resetting and double checking everything, but I would appreciate it if you guys could post how you typically go about this process. Sorry for the book, guys, but it's driving me crazy at this point!!:4-dontknow:

In summary:
How do you go about setting the initial timing and advance on a fresh rebuild of an '86 5.9L 360c.i. engine?!?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Gen1dak 04-01-2013 01:53 AM

Sounds like carb issues, and/or major vacuum leaks.

Warlock III 04-27-2013 07:04 PM

Pull number 1 spark plug.

Bring the timing mark to "0" TDC (top dead center) on the harmonic balancer and timing tag/tab.

Check to make sure number 1 piston is all the way up.

Pull the distributor cap loose and lift it up to make sure the rotor is pointing at number 1.

If not: You can pull the dist, stich a long screwdriver in and turn the oil pump shaft a little in the direction it needs to go. You may be a tooth or two off.

OR: you can jump the wires on the cap one position in the direction you need to go. So that the rotor is now pointing at the terminal number 1 is on.

try starting it again.

(note, the firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2)
(Driver's side is 1-3-5-7, Pass is 2-4-6-8)

CJ.2007Ram 04-27-2013 07:47 PM

I don't know about the 86 engines but in the earlier LA engines the distributor had a blade at the end to engage the gear in the block which of course was driven by the cam. This setup is super easy to be 180 degrees out. Honestly that is where I would look first.

Warlock III 04-27-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ.2007Ram (Post 1082425)
I don't know about the 86 engines but in the earlier LA engines the distributor had a blade at the end to engage the gear in the block which of course was driven by the cam. This setup is super easy to be 180 degrees out. Honestly that is where I would look first.

That was the reason I suggested getting it up to TDC and checking it. If it's 180 out it'll usually pop a little but that's about it. It sounds to me like it's slightly retarted and the dist has that little stop at the bottom and can only be turned about an 8th of a turn...just not enough to get 'er to fire up. Omitting it (^^tab previous post^^) was an oversight on my part, but I agree.

I just wanted him to cover the bases and work his way through it from the start.

Gen1dak 04-27-2013 11:57 PM

All LA and Magnum engines share the locator tab on the distributor. If it's 180 out, you'll know as soon as you adjust and attempt to re-fire the engine.