DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Need and LED guru (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=137581)

Ahays63 03-27-2013 06:43 PM

Need and LED guru

alright so today i put some leds in my cab passenger/driver...i wired them into my dome light also with a switch...works great turning on and off and dimming with the cab lights problem is when i turn on my switch it also turns the dome light back on...is what im wondering if anyone knows a way or peice i could install that will not send power back to the dome light...in other words get power to flow one way? so i can turn only my LEDs on without the dome but yet have them kick on when you open doors and what not? thanks for the help anybody thats smarter than i am!

JWM59 03-27-2013 07:12 PM

Only thing I can think of is pick up a relay at the auto parts store and wire it up so when you hit the swith you installed the relay will swith to an alternate battery source.

Ahays63 03-27-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWM59 (Post 1051773)
Only thing I can think of is pick up a relay at the auto parts store and wire it up so when you hit the swith you installed the relay will swith to an alternate battery source.

alright any idea exactly how to wire all this up :LOL:? im kinda a noob only good at the basics

ONOutdoorsman 03-27-2013 08:10 PM

Read up on wiring your lights in parallel instead of in series with your switch. It's been since high school but I believe that is the answer. Even then I'm not sure if you can do it or gain access to the wiring to do it. Maybe you should change your title to "Need a wiring guru".

JWM59 03-27-2013 08:27 PM

You somehow allready tapped into you dome light and ran it to a swithch/light and ground. Tell the parts guy what you are up to and he will pick out a relay for you. Once you get it they usually have a wiring diagram etched into it. If you have a 12V supply or battery laying around an Ohm meter and small jumper wires which you can grab at Radio Shack. Than you can play around with it and understand how it works. Kind of a fun project. The side of the relay that is normaly closed will go directly to dome light source you found. The other input will go to the switch you installed and than to 12V source like the battery. Just using battery for an example I would try and find a 12V source that works off the igniton in case you would forget to turn the LED lights off thus draining you battery. Output on the relay goes to LED which goes to ground. Good luck and have fun.

Canadian Hemi Pride 03-27-2013 09:08 PM

You already managed to pull off a good job getting everything wired to the dome and switch. When I do my interior LED's.. I'm gonna take the easy way and wire them up to my switch that I installed to turn on my grill LEDs.

This is something that you may be able to find on google by just spending some time hunting.. There has for sure been someone who has done the same thing before.

Ahays63 03-27-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWM59 (Post 1051840)
You somehow allready tapped into you dome light and ran it to a swithch/light and ground. Tell the parts guy what you are up to and he will pick out a relay for you. Once you get it they usually have a wiring diagram etched into it. If you have a 12V supply or battery laying around an Ohm meter and small jumper wires which you can grab at Radio Shack. Than you can play around with it and understand how it works. Kind of a fun project. The side of the relay that is normaly closed will go directly to dome light source you found. The other input will go to the switch you installed and than to 12V source like the battery. Just using battery for an example I would try and find a 12V source that works off the igniton in case you would forget to turn the LED lights off thus draining you battery. Output on the relay goes to LED which goes to ground. Good luck and have fun.

thanks for the input ill give the relay a try and see if i cant play with er enought and get it figured out