DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Interior Cleaning and Maintenance! (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Scratch across my radio display (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=137589)

TexasBorn 03-27-2013 07:09 PM

Scratch across my radio display

while vacuuming out my truck at my local carwash, the hose ran across my dash and scratched the plastic screen on the display between the knobs (not the touch screen radio). this is all kinds of annoying at night, because the scratch catches all the light coming from the display. does anyone know of anything i can do to fix this? or am i just going to have to deal?:4-dontknow:

eight-bit 03-27-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasBorn (Post 1051827)
while vacuuming out my truck at my local carwash, the hose ran across my dash and scratched the plastic screen on the display between the knobs (not the touch screen radio). this is all kinds of annoying at night, because the scratch catches all the light coming from the display. does anyone know of anything i can do to fix this? or am i just going to have to deal?:4-dontknow:

Might sound stupid, but it works, I have tried this on other (non-oem-mopar-decks) and had moderate to good success.

Use a damp (not wet enough that there is any risk of getting water in the deck) soft cloth, and hand buff it with some regular tooth paste. The tooth paste is just abrasive enough to get the job done. It's also a great trick for reviving dead CDs :)

primo spaghetti 03-29-2013 10:18 PM

thee are lots of fine plastic polishes out there...megs and mothers both make one and are readily available OTC at auto parts stores...

you wont get it totally out IMO, but the polish will def make it less noticeable.

TVL 03-29-2013 10:48 PM

Plastic usually doesn't "scratch" plastic. It probably left a plastic streak acrosss your screen. Try taking a microfiber towel and buff it off. jmho

TexasBorn 03-31-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eight-bit (Post 1051838)
Might sound stupid, but it works, I have tried this on other (non-oem-mopar-decks) and had moderate to good success.

Use a damp (not wet enough that there is any risk of getting water in the deck) soft cloth, and hand buff it with some regular tooth paste. The tooth paste is just abrasive enough to get the job done. It's also a great trick for reviving dead CDs :)

Thanks, i'll give it a shot tomorrow and give a follow up

TexasBorn 03-31-2013 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVL (Post 1053871)
Plastic usually doesn't "scratch" plastic. It probably left a plastic streak acrosss your screen. Try taking a microfiber towel and buff it off. jmho

it might have been a harder plastic or something coarse on the hose. i'll try a more thorough buffing