DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Suspension and Tires! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=137620)

RamLove 03-28-2013 04:15 AM

Suspension and Tires!

Hey everyone!

I have looked everywhere for pictures and can't seem to find any!

I am going to put a 5 inch lift on my 96 1500 and need some advice for tires. Would it look okay with the 31" tires that I have or should I get something bigger? (33 or 35).

Thanks in advance!

gonefishin776 03-28-2013 07:10 AM

If i recall, the 5" lift for your 1996 Ram was built around 33" tires.
(this is for an RCX 5" lift)

I would go bigger if you can.

RamLove 03-28-2013 11:16 AM

Accidental double post. Sorry guys.

RamLove 03-28-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin776 (Post 1052230)
If i recall, the 5" lift for your 1996 Ram was built around 33" tires.
(this is for an RCX 5" lift)

I would go bigger if you can.

Well, I can't afford them yet. So, would it look goofy with 31" tires just for a bit? Also, could I fit 35" tires with a 5" lift?

gonefishin776 03-28-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamLove (Post 1052392)
Well, I can't afford them yet. So, would it look goofy with 31" tires just for a bit? Also, could I fit 35" tires with a 5" lift?

hmmmm. I mean, it won't look TERRIBLE...but might look a little small. Even the stock tires on newer trucks are 33" and look small with a big lift.

Maybe try and find a used set for cheap to run in the mean time? I mean it won't hurt anything running small, just might not be the look you are goin for. Although, I've seen BIG ASS trucks with itty bitty tires..some people like it.

i don't know much about what size tires those 2nd gen trucks can clear. I was just relaying what RCX said they recommend with their 5" lift on your year truck.

RamLove 03-28-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin776 (Post 1052395)
hmmmm. I mean, it won't look TERRIBLE...but might look a little small. Even the stock tires on newer trucks are 33" and look small with a big lift.

Maybe try and find a used set for cheap to run in the mean time? I mean it won't hurt anything running small, just might not be the look you are goin for. Although, I've seen BIG ASS trucks with itty bitty tires..some people like it.

i don't know much about what size tires those 2nd gen trucks can clear. I was just relaying what RCX said they recommend with their 5" lift on your year truck.

I would like to fit 35s because I think it would look meaner; however, I don't want a MAJOR amount of rubbing on the fenders/control arms or whatnot.

I can look around craigslist and see if I can find some cheap tires. Anywhere else you would recommend? Or just the basics of CL, ebay, etc.

gonefishin776 03-28-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamLove (Post 1052452)
I would like to fit 35s because I think it would look meaner; however, I don't want a MAJOR amount of rubbing on the fenders/control arms or whatnot.

I can look around craigslist and see if I can find some cheap tires. Anywhere else you would recommend? Or just the basics of CL, ebay, etc.

yea i wish I knew that those trucks could fit :/

craigslist probably your best bet.

RamLove 03-28-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin776 (Post 1052456)
yea i wish I knew that those trucks could fit :/

craigslist probably your best bet.

Do you have any idea on what width would fit?

gonefishin776 03-28-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamLove (Post 1052464)
Do you have any idea on what width would fit?

Nope. I know with the 3rd and 4th gens, the width is what limits us on increasing tire size. You start rubbing the control arms and stuff with a wide tire at a regular offset. then if you go TOO negative, then you rub on the fender well. i would take it to a off-road shop and see if they will test fit some different sizes.

RamLove 03-28-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin776 (Post 1052467)
Nope. I know with the 3rd and 4th gens, the width is what limits us on increasing tire size. You start rubbing the control arms and stuff with a wide tire at a regular offset. then if you go TOO negative, then you rub on the fender well. i would take it to a off-road shop and see if they will test fit some different sizes.

Not a bad idea! Thanks!

I was looking at these: http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/pts/3707933558.html

what do you think?