DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   pinion factor reset (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=137668)

Alberto22 03-28-2013 05:07 PM

pinion factor reset

So today i went to the dealership for an oil change. When i got in the garage the dude looked over the truck and said you have larger tires then stock. Yes i do there an inch taller. When I went in the service office they told me since my tires were larger then stock I need to have A PINION FACTOR RESET so the speedo will read correct. My speedo is off by 2 mph at most. I said OK do it (thinking its covered). Then she tells me it's $130 to do, my answer is forget it i can live with the speedo off by a little. At which point I was told that if it wasn't done my transmission might suffer and fail and not be covered. Seriously?!?!?!?!? Is this true???? I find it hard to believe tires taller by 1 inch will send my transmission into a downward spiral and not be covered. Am I right or wrong?

stock tires 275 60 r20
new tires 275 65 r 20

oldhp 03-28-2013 06:24 PM

So if your tires were 1" shorter the trans would last twice as long? :4-dontknow:
They are trying to get you to part with $130 for nothing. :mad:
Find another dealer if possible. :smileup:

oldhp 03-29-2013 05:34 PM

I measured my snow tires, they are 1"+ taller.
Have run over 2K miles this winter with no issues.

Alberto22 03-29-2013 08:51 PM

I think Im just gunna chance it.

LeftCoast 03-30-2013 03:25 PM

$130? Does it take a couple hours to do this? Seems a bit pricey. I mean for a few hundred more you could get a tuner and input the size of the tires......plus get a ton more bugs worked out.

Alberto22 03-30-2013 07:07 PM

still on the fence on what I should do.

OAG18 03-30-2013 09:13 PM

Absolutely nothing at that price! I doubt it would even be 2mph off and he is lying to you about it hurting the transmission. It takes me 5 min. to recal my speedo with mt tuner. He is looking to rip you off! I would never use them again and tell them why! By the way I doubt they are even an inch bigger.

topgun 03-31-2013 07:51 AM

My tires are also taller by an inch and I had the dealer do the adjustment. It only takes a few minutes, even easier if they are already connected for some kind of update to your computer. I'd find another dealer as $130 is raping you big time if you want it corrected. Nothing will happen from not changing the size for an inch, just the speedo and odometer will both read a little low. I wanted mine correct though as the truck was brand new so I had the tire size changed.

Quote:

By the way I doubt they are even an inch bigger.
Comparing the 2 sizes shows his new tires to be 1.1" taller or a difference of 3.3%. So at 55 mph, the speedo should read less than 2 mph slow. Nothing that would do any damage. But personally something I would want adjusted, especially if that was the tire size I planned on sticking with. If they were just winter tires though, I would not mess with the adjustment.

oldhp 04-02-2013 11:32 AM

Here's another reason; your mileage will show less than what is really on the truck. If you have 100K warranty, now you have 103,300 warranty with the 3.3% difference in tire size.