DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Magnaflow / Flowmaster???? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=137824)

stx4x4 03-30-2013 10:17 AM

Magnaflow / Flowmaster????

I have a 2008 1500, 4x4, with 4.7 motor flex, want to put in a new muffler, which would you all recommend? have the pipes just need to get a muffler, want something that sounds throaty!!! thanks!

ElSombreroNegro 03-30-2013 02:55 PM

Check out the sound clips on youtube for the aeroturbine at3030. I havent heard one in person, but on video it sounds divine. Also deep and throaty is the gibson super truck with side exit... I havent heard it on anything smaller than a 305 chevy though so I cant say whether or not the 4.7 has the the exhaust volume to fill out the notes. Also, higher compression motors tend to sound raspier than lower compression motors of similar size and pipes, so just keep that in mind if you listen to videos of the magnum motors, they only have 8.7 to 1 or so and are much larger in displacement.

On that note, a good comparison in exhaust sound would be the three valve mustang 4.6 motor. that would give you more video sound options to look at that would still be relevant to your motor.

JLThomas 03-30-2013 05:55 PM

I just installed a Flowmaster Super44 with turn downs and it sounds nasty and made a slight difference in torque, I've had Magnaflows in the past and wasn't impressed at all. I'd say Flowmaster

pruitt146 03-30-2013 07:16 PM

Had flowmaster then installed magnaflow, best decision yet.

snrusnak 03-30-2013 10:02 PM

magnaflow is a straight through design, will perform better. sound is all opinion, though I find chambered mufflers(flowmaster) to be too loud and "tinny" at idle and cruising rpm.

InDeepWaterBlue 03-31-2013 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 1054628)
magnaflow is a straight through design, will perform better. sound is all opinion, though I find chambered mufflers(flowmaster) to be too loud and "tinny" at idle and cruising rpm.

personally I have a flow on my truck and this is where me and El Sean differ in opinions :D I would say for WOT sound Magnaflow is the way to go, but at idle I love the deep tone of my truck with the super 44. It's the one thing that keeps me from swapping it, even though I will be next month once Sean finds time to do a little modding. :gy:

snrusnak 03-31-2013 08:46 AM

:) see even you are coming to the dark side...

KanadianRAM 04-03-2013 12:01 AM

I say go with the FLOW

I put a flowmaster F50 on my 2012 4.7 and I love the sound. Its a nice deep rumble on idle and casual exceleration. but really comes alive when you Giver. but is nice and quiet going down the highway. I am definatly a fan. My friend has a magnaflow and it is definatly louder but is to loud going down the highway we found the magnaflow has a drone that you cant get rid of. we even sound deadened his entire cab and he still doesnt enjoy taking it on road trips. Hope this was some help

starquestbd22 04-03-2013 08:47 AM

As you can see, you will get lots of different opinions on this topic. I personally prefer Magnaflow primarily because overall they are quieter until you step on it, they seem to be of better quality overall, and have what I regard to be a better performance design. That being said, I do also like the sound of a Flowmaster and that's the first thing that came to my mind when I read the word "throaty". While I like the sound of my MF, I personally would not describe it as throaty.

Spend some time on youtube. I know it isn't the same as hearing it in person but it will give you a really good idea of what to expect.

RUBEN08 04-03-2013 12:50 PM

I have a magnaflow setup on my 08 truck, yes quiet at idle but when you punch it what a sound. But that's me.