DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Wheel Stuck (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=137955)

maldo321 03-31-2013 03:24 PM

Wheel Stuck

I had to change my 2010 1500 Ram's wheel. I took out all the screws and when trying to pull out the wheel, It is completely stuck. I've check the manual, Youtube videos and nothing. Anything that could help?

CherryRedHemi 03-31-2013 03:33 PM

I'm guessing you probably live in a northern state with salt and what not on the roads? Basically your going to have to force it off by various means. I had the same problem on my previous truck when it was new, I believe I used a mallet and basically try to rock the wheel back and forth to try to break it free, make sure you have it on some jack stands while doing this though. Ever since then I take a little bit of grease and put it on the hub where wheel seats onto, it will make it easier to remove in the future, just make sure not to get any grease on the threads of the wheel studs.

Outlaw 03-31-2013 03:41 PM

Kick the edge of the wheel one good time and jar it loose

S.C. Express 04-01-2013 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outlaw (Post 1055183)

Yep, works every time. just be sure the truck is on jackstands and not just a jack.

Excoastie 04-01-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outlaw (Post 1055183)

Yup, that is what is needed.

it doesn't take much, just enough to "break the seal"

Exco

thebluegoat 04-01-2013 05:30 PM

One trick my dad uses is to back the nuts off a bit then rock the vehicle for wheels that are really stuck.

Outlaw 04-01-2013 07:18 PM

That could work but it'd be easy to fubar a stud that way.

2010x3.92 04-02-2013 02:17 PM

The rocking is a great idea. Never thought of that but you can really get some serious force that way..

Last weekend I rotated my tires after all winter. Every wheel was stuck. Rubber mallets won't really get the job done. Get a 2x4 wood and just smack the wheel itself with the wood between the hammer and the wheel. Get a hammer that has a pretty good mass and you won't have to hit it very hard.

Use a wire wheel or abrasive wheel made for aluminum to knock off the corrosion on the wheel mounting face and apply a thin coating of anti seize. Make sure to put it around the center part of the wheel that fits over the axle. This is where it mostly gets stuck.

Ballentx462 04-02-2013 04:38 PM

Same thing happened to me a couple days ago. I just kicked them a few times and it broke loose.

Outlaw 04-02-2013 05:14 PM

I wouldn't do the rocking trick. Otherwise you'd be back on here asking how to replace studs.