DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   how much do you pay for an oil change (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=137999)

Gatsy92 03-31-2013 10:15 PM

how much do you pay for an oil change

so tommorow will be my first oil change as i am almost at 5000km, just wondering what everyone usually pays. i know from my last car i used mobil 1 from the dealership and was paying 110 bucks an oil change which i know is robbery since i can get mobil 1 on sale for 40 bucks, however i like to have the dealership do it in case they every try to pull a fast one on me, i was thinking of doing my own every 5 and taking it in every 10, that way im still under thier warranty regulations and they dont know i did my own and i can save a ton of money. i know everything is cheaper in the states, (bastards) haha, but everyone around here seems to charge about 110 - 120 for a mobil one oil change

Chromag 03-31-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatsy92 (Post 1055540)
however i like to have the dealership do it in case they every try to pull a fast one on me, i was thinking of doing my own every 5 and taking it in every 10, that way im still under thier warranty regulations and they dont know i did my own and i can save a ton of money.

Two questions. First, pull a fast one? How are they going to pull a fast one when it comes to changing the oil?

Second, they'll only honor your warranty if you get your oil changed at the dealership? You can't just take your truck to a Jiffy Lube or Wal-Mart to get a cheap oil change?

HorseMan 03-31-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatsy92 (Post 1055540)
so tommorow will be my first oil change as i am almost at 5000km, just wondering what everyone usually pays. i know from my last car i used mobil 1 from the dealership and was paying 110 bucks an oil change which i know is robbery since i can get mobil 1 on sale for 40 bucks, however i like to have the dealership do it in case they every try to pull a fast one on me, i was thinking of doing my own every 5 and taking it in every 10, that way im still under thier warranty regulations and they dont know i did my own and i can save a ton of money. i know everything is cheaper in the states, (bastards) haha, but everyone around here seems to charge about 110 - 120 for a mobil one oil change

Why not just change it yourself, and save some money? Just save your receipts if you're worried about warranty issues.

Gonefishn1212 03-31-2013 10:27 PM

never heard of if you dont take you truck in to dealer for routine maintenance that it will void your warranty...

8qts oil... i believe for the hemi cost me $46 for mobil 1 and $11 for a mobil 1 oil filter...so 60...american dollars for me to do it my self... dealer wants 100$ to do it

05cr125r 03-31-2013 10:29 PM

if i were to take the truck to jiffy it would be well over a hundred to run synthetic...but would be a lot faster than the dealer...buy your own oil and have jiffy or wally put it in for you

ValleyRacer 03-31-2013 10:31 PM

Yikes!

Your engine isn't likely to fail if you stay on top of oil changes anyway.

Proceed with your 5K YOU and10K THEM oil change program if you really are concered about any engine warranty claims due to failed lubrication.

If you have other warranty issues - tranny, steering etc - the oil change isn't going to matter.

If you have a printed receipt from WalMart or Jiffy lube that shows your VIN#, license plate, oil and filter type, mileage, date, oil weight etc - they'd have no reason to void engine related warranty actions.

Gatsy92 03-31-2013 10:40 PM

i used to work at a chevy dealership and we had a "lube lane" the vehicle would come in get its mats washed and interior vacuumed, proceed down for a alignment check and brake test, and then continue over the pit for a oil change and tire rotation if need be, after it would get a car wash all for 49 bucks, (if running conventional oil) awesome deal in my eyes, now some of the chrysler dealerships have sort of the same thing around here called the Mopar fast lane, its supposed to be done in 20 minutes except no matt wash or car wash, i want to go to my old dealership but i know the clowns they have working there and dont trust it, i know its probably one of those choose your poison situations anyways with dealerships

Grubrunner 03-31-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromag (Post 1055547)
Two questions. First, pull a fast one? How are they going to pull a fast one when it comes to changing the oil?

Second, they'll only honor your warranty if you get your oil changed at the dealership? You can't just take your truck to a Jiffy Lube or Wal-Mart to get a cheap oil change?

First, they pull a fast one by claiming they changed your oil when, simply, they didn't. Several current affair/news programs have been reporting this common scam performed by drive-in and drive-away oil change places...... For years. You've never heard of it?

Second, I'd rather leave my 'old' oil in the motor than have Jiffy Lube or Walmart change it.

Horseman nailed it.

Hope this helped.

Bully's Performance 03-31-2013 11:18 PM

I normally do my own oil change with Amsoil Signature series if you are a preferred customer you can get 7 quarts and an oil filter shipped for less than $90 most of the time, and it is a 25k 1 year oil change. I have never heard one thing negative about it, alot of ram owners will change it every 10k miles and it still comes out golden :)

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

Chromag 03-31-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grubrunner (Post 1055613)
First, they pull a fast one by claiming they changed your oil when, simply, they didn't. Several current affair/news programs have been reporting this common scam performed by drive-in and drive-away oil change places...... For years. You've never heard of it?

I've never heard of it - and never had any issue taking any of my vehicles to a non-dealership to have the oil changed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grubrunner (Post 1055613)
Second, I'd rather leave my 'old' oil in the motor than have Jiffy Lube or Walmart change it.

Why? Because they're going to do a worse job or rip you off any more than your dealership would? I'd find it more likely that you'd bring it to a dealership for an oil change and they'd tell you about all these other issues they noticed while changing the oil and they need to fix them (for a price).