DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   6" lift bad for 3rd gen (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=138157)

BuckWild09 04-02-2013 11:58 AM

6" lift bad for 3rd gen
 
Got a 07 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4.. i have 5100's installed and set at 2" and will be installing my 3" Body lift this weekend. After doin a lil research on different forums it seems like everbody says that the 6" lift is terrible on a IFS system and its a bad idea. Id really like to get a 6" lift that keeps my CV's straight as possible without breaking the bank or is it better to do a 4"?? Another question is if i do go to 9" of total lift and 37" tires is gearing gonna kill me?? My gearing now is 3.93 and i do mostly highway driving to work and a lil bit of offroad on the weekend(nothing hardcore). Can i run 3.93 with 37's or would i be shooting myself in the foot. Any answers would be awesome thanks guys

gonefishin776 04-02-2013 12:02 PM

I'll be following this thread.

I'm about to pull the trigger on RCX 6" lift for my 2007...so I'd like to see what people say.

so I just did some quick googling with some toyota guys talking about 6" lifts with IFS.

Their only point is it's bad for "true offroading", rock crawling and such. Because yes you are lifting high...but you don't get any more flex than stock. They keep callin people with 6" IFS lifts "mall crawlers"...seems like they have tiny dicks and wanna crap all over anyone who doesn't wheel like them.

So if you want it to sit high, and just romp through some mud...I don't see why not. But don't expect to be able to crawl over boulders and steep embankments. But then again..why would we do that in a full size pick up? That's what Jeeps are smaller wheel based trucks are for.

mswift 04-02-2013 01:06 PM

Thats where I'm at, like the people say on here I would probably be a pavement princess after my lift lol, I have gone mudding in my truck stock but nothing crazy just a big pile of mud..... I don't think I would try and crawl anything with my truck!

gonefishin776 04-02-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswift (Post 1057313)
Thats where I'm at, like the people say on here I would probably be a pavement princess after my lift lol, I have gone mudding in my truck stock but nothing crazy just a big pile of mud..... I don't think I would try and crawl anything with my truck!

yeah same here. I don't want/need a big flexin suspension. So i think we'd be fine with this type of lift.

BuckWild09 04-02-2013 01:20 PM

I would say im not a pavement princess by any means lol i get the tires dirty all times of the year from deer camp to gettin back to a fishing hole. But im not doing some rock crawlin so in that respect I think the truck would do fine. Im kinda torn on which lift for a decent amount.. been lookin at Fabtech, Zone, Skyjacker, Ranch, and RCX. Oh what are your thoughts on gears.. Ive heard people with 35's with the 3.92 cant really tell much of a differenece but im not sure about 37's. My buddy had a 4.11 with 37's and he couldnt be happier. Just hate to spend this money then kickin my self in the ass ya know

gonefishin776 04-02-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckWild09 (Post 1057329)
I would say im not a pavement princess by any means lol i get the tires dirty all times of the year from deer camp to gettin back to a fishing hole. But im not doing some rock crawlin so in that respect I think the truck would do fine. Im kinda torn on which lift for a decent amount.. been lookin at Fabtech, Zone, Skyjacker, Ranch, and RCX. Oh what are your thoughts on gears.. Ive heard people with 35's with the 3.93 cant really tell much of a differenece but im not sure about 37's. My buddy had a 4.11 with 37's and he couldnt be happier. Just hate to spend this money then kickin my self in the ass ya know

I'm goin with RCX personally. Even though they are "cheaper" I've heard nothing but good things about them. And that just because they are cheaper doesn't mean the parts aren't quality.

I have 3.92s with 35s and I can feel it. I dont mind, but I can feel it. Lost about 2-3 mpg too.

With that said you are either gonna have to suck it up with the 37s...or re-gear. And if you already have 3.92s, don't do the baby jump to 4.10, go straight to 4.56. You'll be happier

BuckWild09 04-02-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin776 (Post 1057334)
I'm goin with RCX personally. Even though they are "cheaper" I've heard nothing but good things about them. And that just because they are cheaper doesn't mean the parts aren't quality.

I have 3.92s with 35s and I can feel it. I dont mind, but I can feel it. Lost about 2-3 mpg too.

With that said you are either gonna have to suck it up with the 37s...or re-gear. And if you already have 3.92s, don't do the baby jump to 4.10, go straight to 4.56. You'll be happier

Ive been lookin at them too. Seem to be well build and real good pricing. Oh I know im gonna loose MPG. The only thing that sucks is if i dont like the feel of it then a re-gear to 4.56 is about $1200 a axle.:doh: so either its play it safe with 35's or GO BIG OR GO HOME with 37's

BuckWild09 04-02-2013 01:41 PM

ANYBODY that knows ANYBODY running 37's with the 3.92 gearing. Their input would be very helpful

Dirtyp 04-02-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckWild09 (Post 1057347)
ANYBODY that knows ANYBODY running 37's with the 3.92 gearing. Their input would be very helpful

I have 3.92 and running 37's and I don't have any complaints....Would 4.56 gears be awesome hell ya, but I have plenty power and dnt feel like truck struggles at all....just be smart about your wheel and tire choices, I'm running a two piece lighter wheel and a lighter 37" tire than what ive seen mostly used on ths forum. The weight makes a difference, my wheel/tire combo weighs the same as the 35's and stock wheels I was running before.

I was in same bout you guys are and did ton research. I heard good stuff about RC lift but in the end decided on the Pro Comp, personally for just a little more all parts powder coated including steering knuckles, which I've seen rust up real bad on the RC kit. It also includes stainless braided brake lines and the kicker bars which were add charge on RC kit....you also maintain your factory coils with the pro comp which is one reasons my dealer advised they honor warranty on the pro comp kit, I didn't let them do it Bc of higher price but the mopar and pro comp kits are the only ones my dealer would install.

Dirtyp 04-02-2013 02:28 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the quality kits, just comes down to your personal preference and how much you want to spend. I can also post a pic of my cv angles you were talkin about being concerned about Bc with any of the quality kits it will maintain good angles. I have 6" kit plus another 1" or so using adjusable bilteins and my cv angles are very good... I'm pretty sure lower than they were on leveling kit alone before lift....I'll post you a pic when I get a chance.

Also remember 37's put a dent in my gas milege, but 37's and 4.56 gears...man I don't even want to know how much of a kick in the balls to the gas mileage is?!?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger