DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   2004 Ram 4.7 engine running hot (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=138198)

moparman1001 04-02-2013 06:34 PM

2004 Ram 4.7 engine running hot

Hello everyone. I have this ram that has lost a very small amount of water. Takes 6 months to need water with no visable leaks. It started running hot last summer if you had it idle for just a few minutes. Water has never come out of the radiator or overflow. I have to put water in it more often but not much. I took it to the shop I use and they could not find a problem. It also has lifter noise when first start it, goes away quickly. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

02Kingstonram 04-02-2013 07:59 PM

Well you say hot what's the temp gauge saying? On that note is the temp gauge, Your basis for saying it's running hot? Is it actually? In my past experience the only way to get rid of that pesky noise is drain all that crap oil out, changing it to Amsoil Synthetic 5W30 Signature series along with a new filter and PCV. You live in TN and your putting water in the cooling system, does it get below 0. Do you have antifreeze?

enj808 04-07-2013 01:05 PM

I had the same issue. Turned out I had a bad head gasket. Exhaust side of number 5 cylinder. Did the gasket and put in a 4 core out of a hemi truck. Much better now. Can you smell antifreeze in your exhaust?

tjbiker031 04-10-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moparman1001 (Post 1057604)
Hello everyone. I have this ram that has lost a very small amount of water. Takes 6 months to need water with no visable leaks. It started running hot last summer if you had it idle for just a few minutes. Water has never come out of the radiator or overflow. I have to put water in it more often but not much. I took it to the shop I use and they could not find a problem. It also has lifter noise when first start it, goes away quickly. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Well first get a new radiator cap. A loose (or leaking) cap can mess with the boiling point and you will loose coolant from boiling with no clear sign of where it went. Second. Get a Block Tester. Its cheap and will tell you if you have combustion gases in your cooling system, this will rule out or comfirm a blown head gasket.

BigRedQuad 04-14-2013 11:27 PM

I had the same issue over the past few years. Mechanic replaced thermostat and can't remember what else. Seemd to be fine then when taking a trip indicator kept reading HOT the after awhile back to average and no rhyme or reason. After reading on here a few people I advised a new mechanic to look over my radio and sure enough it needed to be replace; I also had no leaks. He showed when I picked up my truck and showed the build up causing the flow to be interrupted and couldn't be cleaned. I hope that helps.

02Kingstonram 04-18-2013 09:05 PM

What does a radio have to do with overheating?