DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Battery charging warning light keeps coming on (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=138442)

pitcher3853 04-04-2013 09:54 PM

Battery charging warning light keeps coming on

Hello,
I have a question for all of you gear heads out there. The battery charging system warning light keeps coming on every once and awhile (The red battery symbol). There is no rime or reason for when it comes on and all I have to do is pull over and turn the truck off and restart it and it goes away and the battery needle returns to the normal position. I do not know if it is a loss connection or what. Thanks for the help!

It is a 2009 Ram 1500 4.7l trx4

RAM EM 04-05-2013 12:17 PM

Sounds like your alternator is dying. Could be a bad connection, though. Or even the battery. Take to an auto parts store and check your battery and charging system. Make sure to get the guy that knows what he's doing, though.

pitcher3853 04-05-2013 06:35 PM

The battery was replaced around 1000 miles ago and they also checked the alternator. I hope it is just a bad connection since the truck only has 40k miles..

GTyankee 04-05-2013 06:59 PM

One of the Dodge Techs in here mentioned that a battery has to have a complete charge on it for the Dodge alternator to function properly
A battery when purchased does Not have a full charge on it & the alternator will put out just enough charge to replace what was used in the starting process, it will not continue charging until the battery is FULLY charged

I run more lights then most people do & sometimes for days at a time, my gauge needle is exactly center when all my lights are on
I run my headlights whenever the key is on & when i am with a Oversized Load, my rotating lights are on & then there is my high powered CB radio
In this picture, my headlights are not on, i had not yet discovered the way to make them work whenever the key was on

http://imageshack.us/a/img704/1553/046af.jpg

RyanJM 04-07-2013 12:58 AM

I can say don't let when you last replace the battery mean you shouldn't have it checked. I have gotten a few bad batteries in differs cars I own over the past couple years. I got a junk optima red top that lasted less that 1k miles in my trans am before dropping a cell. They don't seem to be made as good these days.
I would have it checked and if its low get it charged. They can check the alternator at the same time. Also check every connection to make sure there tight and free of any corrosion.

RAM EM 04-07-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitcher3853 (Post 1060534)
The battery was replaced around 1000 miles ago and they also checked the alternator. I hope it is just a bad connection since the truck only has 40k miles..

When you replaced the battery were you having the same problem? If so, I would be suspect of the alternator. It sounds like it's not keeping a good charge. But of course you want to check your connections and the battery as well. Have them run more than one test on it, or have it checked at a couple of different places.

pitcher3853 04-08-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAM EM (Post 1061972)
When you replaced the battery were you having the same problem? If so, I would be suspect of the alternator. It sounds like it's not keeping a good charge. But of course you want to check your connections and the battery as well. Have them run more than one test on it, or have it checked at a couple of different places.

The problem was not happening before the battery was replaced. The battery was replaced because the truck was having a hard time cranking and the dealer said is was a low battery. The light started coming on about 1k miles AFTER the battery was replaced.
Also, do any of you know where the sensor would be located? I'm good with mechanical but electrical stuff scares the piss out of me :SHOCKED:

seanbeckaroo 04-09-2013 11:20 AM

I would suspect a poor charging system at this point. Check you connections! Check the voltage on your battery with the engine running, it should be north of 13.5-14.5 amps. if less than that, the charging system is weak, or cables/connections are in need of attention.

pitcher3853 04-15-2013 01:30 PM

Turned out to be loose wires ant the integrated power module connection which caused a charging system high output fault. Simple fix. Thanks for all the input!