DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   MDS (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147)
-   -   MDS Upgrade? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=138455)

RepentaRAM777 04-05-2013 01:06 AM

MDS Upgrade?

Is it possible to upgrade the MDS from an 04 Ram 1500 with the MDS from an 09+? Or should I just not bother and leave it alone cause I would like to get at least decent mileage since I'm currently running 13-14mpg and would like to reach 15-16+.

GTyankee 04-05-2013 02:05 AM

The first year Ram to have MDS was the 2006
to add it to your '04, you would need a different camshaft, the heads off a '06, the computer, wiring, sensors

You would NEVER see a savings from the conversion

gonefishin776 04-05-2013 06:34 AM

yeah that wouldn't be worth it at all. Most hate MDS and it really doesn't do chit for gas mileage.

check your air filter
change your spark plugs
check tire pressure
don't drive around with unnecessary weight
keep your foot out of the skinny pedal

all easy things to do to improve/keep your MPG consistent.

brandonjansen 04-05-2013 12:42 PM

Ya, honeslty lots of guys with tuners are turning MDS off and getting just as good if not better fuel economy. It will make a difference if you do a ton of highway driving but you won't notice anything in the city. And like the guys above said, with all the work you will have to to do make it work it isn't worth the money. You'd be better off buying a new Ram.

RepentaRAM777 04-06-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin776 (Post 1060063)
yeah that wouldn't be worth it at all. Most hate MDS and it really doesn't do chit for gas mileage.

check your air filter
change your spark plugs
check tire pressure
don't drive around with unnecessary weight
keep your foot out of the skinny pedal

all easy things to do to improve/keep your MPG consistent.

Yeah I kinda figured in a way, and I've done about all that except for spark plugs and i haven't checked my tire pressure lately…. prob should do that, also would adding an extra 5 pounds of air help? it helped with my old dakota and i would assume it would do the same in the ram

RepentaRAM777 04-06-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjansen (Post 1060280)
Ya, honeslty lots of guys with tuners are turning MDS off and getting just as good if not better fuel economy. It will make a difference if you do a ton of highway driving but you won't notice anything in the city. And like the guys above said, with all the work you will have to to do make it work it isn't worth the money. You'd be better off buying a new Ram.

I always wondered why people did that but that just solved my worries there, and I would get a newer one except I inherited this truck (in a way) so Im NEVER getting rid of it and can't afford a new one.

S.C. Express 04-07-2013 01:29 PM

I run my tires at 38-40 lbs. of pressure. Rides like crap but gets 1-2 mpg better than running 34-35 like I have always done in the past. Anything you do to decrease rolling resistance will improve fuel economy.
I don't know what oil you use but switch to a full synthetic 5w-20 and I bet you will see a difference in mpg's.