DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Random loss of acceleration / popping noise (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=138705)

DJFriar 04-07-2013 08:11 PM

Random loss of acceleration / popping noise

I have a '97 1500 Ext Cab, 4x2, with the 5.2L V8. 98% of the time, she runs fine (though seems thirsty, but that's a later topic). But occasionally she will just stop responding to throttle input. I can floor her, and I will get an occasional popping sound, but no acceleration or anything. If I turn her off for a few hours, she will run fine again.

I have a code reader, and it can do real time monitoring of various sensors and such. The problem is, I've never used it for that, and I have no idea what "normal" is.

My plan is to keep the reader in the truck now. I'll attach it to get a run or two of her running normally; then if she acts up again, I'll attach it and try to capture the readings while its having the issue.

Aside from that troubleshooting step, is there anything I should check before hand? I assume it is a sensor of some sort giving bad info. I have a service manual and a multimeter, so I should be able to check most things, i just don't honestly have a clue where to start on this one. I hear its fuel related, or it's the mass air flow sensor; others say its a bad computer, etc etc etc.

tl;dr Truck occasionally stops going and will pop when given full throttle. Any sensors or things to check first?

Phatninja55 04-07-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJFriar (Post 1062448)
I have a '97 1500 Ext Cab, 4x2, with the 5.2L V8. 98% of the time, she runs fine (though seems thirsty, but that's a later topic). But occasionally she will just stop responding to throttle input. I can floor her, and I will get an occasional popping sound, but no acceleration or anything. If I turn her off for a few hours, she will run fine again.

I have a code reader, and it can do real time monitoring of various sensors and such. The problem is, I've never used it for that, and I have no idea what "normal" is.

My plan is to keep the reader in the truck now. I'll attach it to get a run or two of her running normally; then if she acts up again, I'll attach it and try to capture the readings while its having the issue.

Aside from that troubleshooting step, is there anything I should check before hand? I assume it is a sensor of some sort giving bad info. I have a service manual and a multimeter, so I should be able to check most things, i just don't honestly have a clue where to start on this one. I hear its fuel related, or it's the mass air flow sensor; others say its a bad computer, etc etc etc.

tl;dr Truck occasionally stops going and will pop when given full throttle. Any sensors or things to check first?

I'm no expert, but maybe check the throttle position sensor.

DJFriar 04-12-2013 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phatninja55 (Post 1062665)
I'm no expert, but maybe check the throttle position sensor.

I will try that this weekend and report back. :)

van tough 04-12-2013 06:52 AM

I've been having problems too,.similar. I changed a lot of stuff. If your truck is burning rich,......You might want to put a high flow air filter on ,,,,, It helped me tremendously .,.. I still need to fine tune it but it's not stalling or popping ,.or hesitating any more . I've found that the magnum motors are sensitive .
I also cleaned the throttle body good & added a throttle body spacer
good luck,........................Larry