DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   2011 HID light question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=138915)

kenny4128 04-09-2013 05:14 PM

2011 HID light question

Hello All, I have been all over the internet searching for the right 55w HID kit for my ram truck. I know I need the H11 kit, but my biggest isue is I have herd many issues with our trucks not accepting most run of the mill HID kits without flickering issues, or tire pressure indicators going off. So my question is, what kits are you guys using? Any issues? I have been looking at the **************** 55w 5000k kit, any thoughts? I know its a lot of questions but I love my truck and want it to look good and everything to work perfect. Cheers!

BC18471 04-11-2013 02:39 PM

You can take you chances with an ebay special, but those are where you will tend to see issues. The RS kits are a bit more, but...you get what you pay for. Plus, they have very good customer service. You should do some research in the Lighting forum. There is lots of good information there.

ArmyofOne 04-11-2013 06:19 PM

I got my kits from XenonDepot.com, and they work great. my TPMS indicator comes on for 5 seconds when I first turn on the headlights, then it goes away and everything is flawless.

Studbuster 04-12-2013 09:25 PM

DON'T forget to finish the instalation by doing a proper light output adjustment. You'll see better and you will not blind oncoming drivers as bad with your illegal lights.

candy08 04-12-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studbuster (Post 1068129)
DON'T forget to finish the instalation by doing a proper light output adjustment. You'll see better and you will not blind oncoming drivers as bad with your illegal lights.

What makes his lights illegal?

Btw I would pass on the Retro kits. Most people I know aren't happy with them. What's unfortunate is that when someone post a negative thread on them it gets deleted, sad how these forums work....Also JJ who does the retro'd lights (retroshop) also changed his hid supplier. Can't imagine why...

eight-bit 04-13-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candy08 (Post 1068326)
What makes his lights illegal?

In most states running HID lights in a non-HID housing is illegal. The light dispersion is all wrong and it's a hazard to other drivers. Retrofitted projector is the way to do it... Makes sure the light goes where it's supposed to, doesn't blind other drivers.

blackpearldodge 04-17-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eight-bit (Post 1068799)
In most states running HID lights in a non-HID housing is illegal. The light dispersion is all wrong and it's a hazard to other drivers. Retrofitted projector is the way to do it... Makes sure the light goes where it's supposed to, doesn't blind other drivers.

The same holds true up here in Canada.

s9779 04-21-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eight-bit (Post 1068799)

In every state in the county there is a law on the books requiring all automotive lighting to be dot approved when activated on public rounds. As of this time and most likely for any foreseeable future the Dot will not certify any retro kits for street use. Even if they did certify the kits they still require a max color temp of 4100k. All factory lights use bulbs with this template regardless of how the light looks when it's bent through a projector. In my state you will fail required state inspection with a retrofit kit. Hope this info helps.

eight-bit 05-02-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s9779 (Post 1076308)
In every state in the county there is a law on the books requiring all automotive lighting to be dot approved when activated on public rounds. As of this time and most likely for any foreseeable future the Dot will not certify any retro kits for street use. Even if they did certify the kits they still require a max color temp of 4100k. All factory lights use bulbs with this template regardless of how the light looks when it's bent through a projector. In my state you will fail required state inspection with a retrofit kit. Hope this info helps.

Your state is my state. If only inspection shops bothered to actually do their jobs, me and you would be blinded by far less ricer civics :/