DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   05 Ram Daytona 4x4 suspension Need Help! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=138918)

fdc1970 04-09-2013 05:55 PM

05 Ram Daytona 4x4 suspension Need Help!

Greetings, I have a '05 Ram Daytona 4x4 reg cab all stock with 32,000 miles on it. (14" Magnaflow only mod) I plan on keeping the factory 20" wheels and tires on this. I want to keep this as a street truck so I want to try to make it handle on curvy/bumpy back roads best as possible since I tend to drive fast at times since I live in the middle of nowhere with the roads to myself. I like the tight firm "truck feel" so not looking for a soft ride just something better than factory ride that's starting to feel a bit sloppy to me.
First thing I want to raise the front about 2" to help level it but they don't sell adjustable 5100 bilsteins for 05 Dodge Ram 4x4? so that stopped me dead in my tracks to collect parts.
What is the best way to raise the front about 2"? (I read somewhere crank torsion bars?) Once the front is raised I want new shocks front and rear installed and not sure if the Bilstein's 4600 Front: 24-069281/Rear:24-025508 is a good choice all around for a better than OEM ride but I would think they are. I would appreciate anyone with knowledge for this truck to help me be able to get the parts I need. Thanks

hydrex 04-09-2013 06:13 PM

When my 05 was new, I had the dealer add a leaf to the rear and crank up the torsion bars to almost level , about 2 inches. The installed Rancho 9000 shocks all around. Eventually I cranked them to maximum firmness and love the control. Only thing that I could think to improve, might be a rear sway bar. I tow a 10,000 lb fifth wheel with her, no problem. The extra leaf makes it handle loads better, a lot better. Ride is on par with a 2500 or even a 3500.

NWRQC 04-10-2013 04:34 PM

Crank the torsion bars and call it a day.
Jack the front end up until the tires are off the ground, crank them, then lower the truck down and take it for a spin. Then re measure the height and adjust accordingly.
Cranking the bars will stiffen the front end up and make the ride firmer like you are looking for.

fdc1970 04-10-2013 04:47 PM

Thanks for the info. I guess when this goes to a shop I'll have them raise the front up a bit with cranking the torsion bars. I don't have to buy anything for that right? I seen a torsion bar key online is that just a tool that is for home mechanic? This truck is not going to see off-road or ever haul anything that's why I call it my "car". I do drive it in rain and also snow sometimes. The rancho from what I read seems more like a hauling/towing ride. Are the 4600 Bilsteins all around a good choice they're $59. ea anybody running them? Improved handling for street use compared to OEM? I would get a rear sway bar as well but I don't get much online time to read best choices. I need to get parts collected for the shop most likely a Dodge dealer just tell them what to do, have an alignment and leave. I'm just hoping whatever I get I'll leave happy.

fdc1970 04-11-2013 11:34 PM

Ordered the 4 bilsteins so between that and a front up 1" and front alignment I think I'm good for awhile or this is going as a trade-in for something new.