DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Why cant I break the tires loose? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=138945)

MamasLaramie 04-09-2013 10:13 PM

Why cant I break the tires loose?

Ok, I feel a little stupid even asking this and its not something I plan to do all the time but my son asked me to "squeal" the tires from a stoplight yesterday and it wouldnt do it! Im running the superchips with the 91 tune but Im not seeing an off the line difference. Do I have to pay extra for the trans tune to so this? The truck has also been doing this strange thing where after sitting for a while during start up it bounces between 1000-1250 rpm like someone is tapping their foot on the peddle. After I press the gas it stops.:4-dontknow:

Gantman 04-09-2013 10:20 PM

Hello MamasLaramie. Have you tried disabling traction control with your tuner yet? Thats what keeps you from spinning tires.

MamasLaramie 04-09-2013 10:30 PM

I went through the options again today and did not see this. I turned the MDS off and change the rev limiter but maybe I missed the traction control but I dont think I did. I def would have turned that off. I'll check again just in case.

CdnoilRAM 04-09-2013 10:34 PM

You can disable the T/C for short durations only, as soon as you cycle the key again it will activate the system again. You can't permanently disable it. The T/C option is in the quick adjust menu.

MamasLaramie 04-09-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 1064608)
You can disable the T/C for short durations only, as soon as you cycle the key again it will activate the system again. You can't permanently disable it. The T/C option is in the quick adjust menu.

So this will only work until I shut the truck off? That kinda sucks. Do other programmers work the same way? Im starting to have second thoughts and wishing I would have went Diablo.

Hemiman345 04-09-2013 11:00 PM

Mash your brake slightly and ease the gas to it. Keep enough pressure on the brake only to keep it still. Get to about 1500 rpm and lift your left foot and mash the right thru the floor.

CdnoilRAM 04-09-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamasLaramie (Post 1064614)
So this will only work until I shut the truck off? That kinda sucks. Do other programmers work the same way? Im starting to have second thoughts and wishing I would have went Diablo.

Sorry, missed that you were running a Superchips. The Diablo is the best programmer when it comes to options and custom tunes, the other don't really support much when it moves away from their canned tunes. However, the canned Superchips tunes tend to be better for most people, but a custom tune will net you better results typically.

steveschaedel 04-09-2013 11:54 PM

I can bust tires loose all day long in the PW - just push the switch to turn of the trac control and go to town - however not recommended

CdnoilRAM 04-10-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveschaedel (Post 1064723)
I can bust tires loose all day long in the PW - just push the switch to turn of the trac control and go to town - however not recommended

This still does not completely disable the traction control; it is still cutting power to the engine to prevent over revving which will stop the higher rpm burn out required to heat up tires properly at the track.

fastNugly @ BP 04-10-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamasLaramie (Post 1064603)
I went through the options again today and did not see this. I turned the MDS off and change the rev limiter but maybe I missed the traction control but I dont think I did. I def would have turned that off. I'll check again just in case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 1064608)

Exactly what they both said.
It's hard to chirp the tires with the T/C on

On a side note....
Kurtis, that is one amazing sig :smileup: