DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   New dual exhaust - need help with choices (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139305)

txrobtrx 04-13-2013 11:28 AM

New dual exhaust - need help with choices

Guys,

I hope you can help me wade through all the info and keep me on the right path. I have a 5.7 hemi with a single exhaust, and moving to a dual set up.

Right now, I am debating two choices -
1. New Magnaflow Ypipe and 12288 muffler - have exhaust shop do all the tubing for me.
2. New Magnaflow Ypipe and 16869 cat back kit - have exhaust shop do the install.

My questions is how important is it really to have the mandrel bent pipes versus a traditional set up done by the shop? I can understand and appreciate that the mandrel bent pipes will give better performance, but dont understand what that really means.

From my preliminary info, the kit plus the install is twice the cost of the muffler plus shop doing the pipe, and any money saved is more money for more mods.

I appreciate you guys helping on this one.

MangoTangoMofo 04-13-2013 01:51 PM

I was in the same debate as you… I chose to let the shop build my exhaust instead of ordering the catback. I saved almost 600 dollars that way… enough to pay for my tool box and tonneau cover and I have zero regrets. The shop I brought it to specializes in custom exhaust and they did a fantastic job.

What I appreciated about the guys that did my truck was their honesty and willingness to take you into the shop and show you exactly what they’re doing. I asked them about mandrel bent pipes vs traditional bending and he just laughed and said “for the cost of mandrel bent pipes vs traditoal buy yourself some headers and get rid of the real restrictions in your exhaust instead wasting your money… it’s a daily driver not a track truck” and I think he’s right…

Now as far as the muffler is concerned, if you want to replicate the Magnaflow Catback (which I recommend since you will not have any resonators) is to jump up to the 5x11x22 muffler PN# 12588. It is the same one found in the kit and it has a larger case size than the 4x9x18 your looking at. With the 22 you will have zero drone in your truck and a really nice deep burble on the exterior which screams when you step on it.

txrobtrx 04-16-2013 10:54 PM

Thanks a lot MangoTango - that all makes sense and was what I was thinking too.

I like your idea about the larger muffler - I was already having second thoughts because of drone and you pushed me over the right edge.

Again, Thanks

chefred112 04-17-2013 08:54 AM

I take mine to the track and I don't do mandrel bends...some guys are stickler's for mandrels over shop bends I guess... I saved a ton of money as well...